Luxman L-509x for B&W 803 D3

I recently acquired a pair of Bowers & Wilkins 803 D3 speakers. My integrated Amp is currently Luxman L-509x rated 120 WPC at 8 Ohms and 220 WPC at 4 Ohms. Class A/B, but Class A biased for the first few Watts.

Is my integrated amp good enough for my 803 D3, or do they need more power? I have read / heard the 800 series B&W need gobbles of power to shine.

Thanks!
128x128thyname

Showing 3 responses by caphill

@thyname 

Oh...that's right. I forgot that you are currently using an integrated amp. 

How's your MSB Discrete DAC? I'm also an owner of MSB DAC. I'm currently using an MSB Select ll DAC with its flagship Femto 33 clock and two separate mono powerbases (two mono separate power supply units, one feeds power to its digital side of thing and the other feeds power to its analog audio stages). 
I also have the MSB Select transport with its external power supply unit.

@thyname

What is your preamp and front end source component(s)?

McIntosh, Classe, Naim separates (500 series models) usually pair well with B&W (especially the 800 series D3). I think Pass would be fine too although I’ve never heard them paired with Pass amps.

The McIntosh MC462 will be a good contender for your B&W 803 D3, or the MC601 monoblock amps (discontinued) or the Classe CAM-300 or CAM-600 monoblock amps (both discontinued) will be great match for your 803 D3.
Some people pair their B&W 800 series D3 with some Mark Levinson with pretty good results too.

The Naim NAP 500 DR power amp + Naim 555 PS DR external psu, Naim NAC 552 linestage preamp + Naim 555 PS DR external psu, Naim ND 555 digital streamer/DAC + Naim 555 PS DR external psu will sound spectacular together with your B&W 803 D3 but these Naim 500 series separates are very expensive though and I don’t know how much you are willing to pay for all electronics. The McIntosh & Classe options are much more affordable than these Naim 500 series separates. These Naim 500 separate components have to be paired with Naim’s 555 PS DR external power supply units one for each component as each component does not come with its onboard power supply. If you go with Naim component(s) you will have to go Naim all the way from a digital streamer/DAC, preamp & power amp and use their DIN connections to connect between Naim components in order to achieve best sonic results as it would make big difference sonically.

I’ve heard these Naim 500 series separates paired with the B&W 800 D3 before and they sounded wonderful together, better than the McIntosh and Classe pairings. All Naim amplifiers (with the exception of its Statement NAP S1 monoblock amps) are conservatively rated, and although the Naim NAP 500 DR power amp is only rated 140 wpc @ 8 ohms but it is a highly robust refined stable current delivery. The quality of current delivery that matters most. This amp is capable of driving just about any difficult speaker loads. This NAP 500 DR amp is a true dual mono designs placed in the same chassis but are encased in completely separate chambers and both channels are completely isolated and independent from each other.

But I think your Luxman integrated is good enough for your 803 D3. Or you can also move up the ladder within Luxman and look for their separates or somethin.