Luxman Integrated - What do they sound like

Hi Everyone,

I'm considering getting myself a late 2018 Christma present or early 2019 birthday present.

Modern Luxman reviews are really hard to come by, and are generally just superlative without being very qualitative. I mean, it's all "rah rah rah!! " and no actual details.
For anyone who has listened to them lately, can you tell me what they actually sound like in comparison to other nice amps I might have heard?

Thank you,
Erik

erik_squires
Hello Erik, I home demoed the Luxman pre/power combo (C-700U and M-700U) which apparently has a very similar sound signature to the integrated. I wrote a review comparing it to other amps I demoed and below is a link to the review:
(https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/a-review-of-some-amps-on-home-demo-naim-v-luxman-v-devialet-...

In summary the Luxman had the most valve-like sound to me, a very rounded smooth sound compared to the other amps I was testing. It lacked a little in fine detail compared to the others. It was very easy to listen to and created no fatigue at all, whatever I threw at it. It was the most forgiving of poor harsh recordings. On well-recorded 50s/60s vocal music (think Sinatra etc) it was absolutely sublime, just amazing. The sound wrapped itself around you. On complex classical music it was a little more muddled than the others. On rock it was good on 70s rock (Pink Floyd in particular), and good enough on live recordings. On electronica/dance music (Daft Punk, Kraftwerk etc) the reduced detail meant the music lost a lot compared to the other amps I was testing (Naim, Vitus and Devialet).
I have the 509x. it replaced a Parasound Halo "Hint". I can only compare it to the HINT.  Caveat: I am not an analytical listener and haven't owned many high end amps.

In my room, with my ears it was an improvement. I hear better bass, improved soundstage and  it makes music more enjoyable for me. I'd say it has compelling dynamics while imparting more of a mellow flow to the music (if that makes sense).

The comparisons to Parasound are a big help. I owned A23s for a while (2 amps) and I can't hear a difference between that and my current amps (ICEpower 250 ASP).