LP Vinyl: Quality, Pressing, Label, Weight, Where to Buy ???

Getting back into LP vinyl...its been a long time = mid 70s?  Searching for an educational review on the forum for buying decent quality vinyl LPs...an overview of quality, weight, pressing, label, and best source/location to purchasing (prefer to stay away from ebay as it seems to be hit/miss on what you get). Does anyone have suggestions for an educational review on the subject? 

As a discussion point...I was looking at buying an older LP (vinyl only); I did an internet search = "Faces" - The First Step Album. Online search produces numerous results with prices from $18 to $120...older, used, remakes/repressed, various quality ratings (is there a uniform rating scale), unopened...list goes on. 

Greatly appreciate the forums experience and insight!

jmrrobbie1

Showing 1 response by rdk777

I buy from a variety of places - Amazon, ElusiveDisc, Acoustic Sounds, Ebay, Discogs and of course local used record stores.  Of all the places, my favorite is Amazon.  Can't beat the two-day Prime delivery as I hate waiting for things.  Out of maybe 100 albums, I've only had to return two - that's not too bad.  Their customer service has also gotten better and their price for new albums is pretty competitive.  At one time, Amazon even mailed me an album in a plastic bag (and I even started a thread on it), but it wasn't damaged or anything.  Despite all that, Amazon is still my go to for new readily available albums. Ebay and Discogs are a hit and miss as the NM grading is severely abused and often leads to disappointment. The local used record store prices are close to a new copy - at least that's been my experience in LA.