LP's... Do they sound better now than 30 yrs ago?

Thinking about getting back into LP's. Do they sound better than they did 30 yrs ago? I remember , no matter how well you cleaned them and how well you treated them they always( after 1 or 2 plays) sounded like crap! Pops and clicks. Scratched easy. Are they better made? Thicker? I don't want clicking and popping over my system!                Thanks for your input!

128x128rsa
My experience is many of my older recordings (30 yrs, or older) sound very good and most are very quiet noise wise. Condition of those older pressings is critical though. I have bought newer audiophile records and have had somewhat of a mixed bag of results. The one thing they all had in common was a high price tag. To the OP.  I have said this before. If you buy a  $300 turntable, tonearm, cartridge combo, and a $125 phono stage, and expect analog bliss, you are going to be sorely disappointed. If you're serious about analog playback, put as much money into it as you can afford and make sure to do your research! It takes a lot of effort to put together a quality combination on a strict budget.
Cheers,
Tim 
There are so many variables with vinyl production it's almost impossible to say old is better than new or one is better than the other.  When vinyl was still current I recall returning albums that were simply bad pressings.  Bad pressings can happen anywhere at any time.  I returned a warped brand new Parlorphone album recently.

That said if you have an original pressing of a classic album that was made from a fresh stamper you'll have a good album.  If you got one at the tail end of the stamper's life don't expect it to be as good.  Same goes for the new pressings.  All one needs to do is to take a tour of any new pressing plant or watch a video of same and you'll see nothing has changed.  The question of one being better than the other is perhaps a matter of different. From what I've been able to sample the new pressings sound fine.  Certainly a new pressing of just about anything is going to sound better than a pressing that's been played 10,000 times regardless of what it was played on.
Buying vinyl today is a crapshoot in terms of quality, especially if the records are pressed in the US.  You may have better luck purchasing from the UK.  I never have issues with vinyl from the UK. 
They made two fatal mistakes. The first was going to solid state for mastering. The second was thinking that aggressive dynamic range compression was a good idea. For those reasons I'm out.