Looking to get started. please help

Hi everyone. I am new here. I had a friend suggest I check this site out. I am really new to higher end audio and am looking for some help!

For years I have been listening to music on a crappy surround sound system and I feel it's time to move on.

I know I am at the VERY low end, but right now I would like to spend about $1500 on speakers and amp at the most to move on to something better. Over time, I'd invest more money, but that's my max at the moment.

My main sources for listening to music would be a record player, my iPod, computer and occasionally my TV. Because I am not really into movies or anything like that, I've definitely decided I don't need anything more than a 2-channel system.

I went to a local shop and this was what was recommended to me...

Receiver - Onkyo
http://us.onkyo.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-8050&class=Receiver&source=prodClass

Speakers - PSB
http://www.wwstereo.com/PSB/IMAGINEBBA

But, then someone told me to come to this site and ask for advice. I was also told that I really shouldn't get a receiver, but instead get an integrated amp.

I really need help! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
rootsrockreggae
Another vote for the m-lore, they are fantastic low-cost speakers, you can't go wrong with them.
If you are looking for and Int. amp, there's an Arcam Alpha 8 for sale on Agon for $235. Another fantastic int. amp is an NAD 302, if you can find one. Matched w/the right spks. and other aux. equipment...pure musical pleasure. As far as Spks, there is so many great ones to chose from. You could easily put toegether a very satisfying system for way less than $1500. Bill
Thanks, BIll. I actually pulled the trigger on the NAD 326 yesterday so I am set on an integrated amp.

Now on to speakers! As I mentioned, I e-mailed Tekton but Eric has not gotten back to me. I am wondering if those will match up nicely with the 326.
Roots,

What size is your listening room? Is it a listening room or is it the family den? I won't argue that the Tektons are good speakers, but the one or two reviews that I read indicated that they were a bit picky about setup and placement, if you want to get the most out of them.

Most speakers require at least some experimentation to get the most out of them, but some are more picky than others when it comes to placement.

I'm just offering some food for thought. I know that I've had to take a pass on some really nice speakers because they didn't sound all that good when I put them where I needed them to be.

Larger speakers aren't always the answer. There is a reason that stand mount speakers are so popular. Good ones sound good and image like crazy. They are easier to setup too. If you need them lower or higher, it's a simple matter of adjusting the height of the stand.
You did well buying the NAD 326. IMHO, more than the power difference, the fact that the 326 has sub out and PRE/amp that can be separated justifies it over the 316.

Speakers contribute most to the character of a sound system. Many people putting together their 1st system haven't heard enough distinctly different systems to identify what character they prefer, and what qualities they most demand (soundstage vs. detail). There are a number of quality speakers selling under $500, some far less used, that you might consider purchasing to get by with as you explore the speaker marketplace. You would be positing yourself to enjoy your system now and on an inexpensive path for an upgrade once you have identified what exactly you are looking for. Just a thought.