Looking for vintage system suggestions (maranta, klipsch, etc...)

Hi!

I am new here, and am looking to purchase my first ever home stereo! I am VERY new to this world, so please forgive my ignorance about everything!

I do know that I want a vintage stereo, whose primary purpose is to play vinyl. I love the aesthetics, sound, and mojo of a vintage system.....and stylistically it works with my house. I am just about settled on finding a vintage Marantz 2270 or 2275. I see there are many on eBay, etc. Can anybody recommend an upgraded/restored unit for me to look at?

Speakers. I am looking at floorstanding speakers. I love the LOOK of vintage speakers, and am considering something vintage from Klipsch. Primarily looking at Heresy or Forte. Would these work well with a 2270 or 2275? Are there other, better choices that also have that mid century modern look? Or am I better of spending the big bucks for something new with vintage aesthetics (new Klipsch, etc.)

Turn Tables. I’d like vintage, but want to start with something simple. Plus, I think i will have spent the majority of my budget on the receiver and speakers. Looking at U Turn Audio tables....may upgrade in the future. Any thoughts? Better choices? Is vintage better?

I will most be listening to folk, jazz, classic rock, etc....nothing too heavy!

My budget is about $2500....a tiny bit of flexibilty, but want to keep it in that range...

Thanks in advance!
rawchuck
Ok, this is very helpful. I think the idea of starting with speakers and working backwards makes a lot of sense. I realize that while I feel quite versed in guitar speakers (I am a musician), I have no idea about hifi speakers.

Also, I looked into the IMF tls 80 and the Altec 19, and I am realizing that maybe I should get bookshelf type speakers.....I think if a set of altec 19’s showed up, my wife would throw me out! I am realizing that part of the appeal of the Heresy speakers was the small size....

any recommendations for bookshelf speakers that exude that vintage goodness?

i will also check into Sansui receivers and some of the modular setups suggested.

Oh yeah, my budget is about $2500....

Please keep the the suggestions coming!!!

" I was planning on buying and already fully restored 2275, and possibly some upgraded Heresy I's."

" However, I am starting to get the picture that this may not be the best set of speakers for this unit. "

Don't discount the Heresys so easily, especially the Heresy III's.  The HI and HII are easy to find in good condition on the used market.  Give them a try, if not satisfied, reselling is a snap.

Bill

I agree that Heresy IIIs would be a fine choice. These are a good candidate if you're in a medium sized room, especially if you have to place your speakers near the forward wall. They are not harsh or brittle on the top end when paired with a quality receiver/amp like the Marantz you're considering. Believe it or not, my Heresy IIIs are as warm as my Spendors when driven by a quality amp. 

I've also heard many good things about the aforementioned Wharfedale Dentons and they too have the retro look.

Epos Epic 2s in the cherry veneer have a semi-retro look and sound amazing for the price. You might be able to find a used pair for around $300

Another good option is a pair of Advents, aka The Advent Louspeaker. These speakers can wipe the floor with many modern designs I've heard. Nice examples can be bought for about $500/ pair.

For the turntable, I'd forego a U-turn unless you're concerned with having a warranty. Nice condition, mid-level Technics or Yamaha DD turntables from the 70s/80s can be found for $250 or less, and will outperform the U-turn. Get a $99 Schiit Audio Mani preamp and a Shure M97xe cartridge and you'll have a very respectable analog rig.

Spend the least of your budget on cables. RatShack interconnects and regular OFC speaker cable will perform plenty well for your needs.  
Wortwhile comments here. Vintage does not mean cost savings or fantastic sound by today's standards. Simple designs, honest products, rich sound, and non-sterile aesthetics can deliver that feel good experience. However, in your price range you'll probably have to at least restore older equipment to original spec. Check out the services and used equipment prices at the Audio Classics' website and you'll get an idea what that may involve.

Or, as mentioned, you can seek out new equipment that gives you a look that fits your eye. Maybe, you can post a picture of some piece of gear that does it for you visually and we can help from there.
Kenny
Ok, thanks.

after a lot of googling of speakers, I think I am back to the Heresy's.   they seem like a solid choice that works for for me stylistically and size wise.  I am leaning towards buying a new or used set of heresy iii's.  they seem like the best of the Heresy line, and I can add a sub if I need more bass.  Or I can resell.  Possibly also looking into a set of used Forte speakers, but leaning less that wAmy due to size.

Receivers.  I'm open to a receiver or integrated amp.  If I go with a solid state receiver, I think I am going to continue to look for a vintage receiver.  sticking with klipsch speakers, would a Marantz 2270 or 2275 be a good match?  Or another brand like vintage McIntosh or Sansui?  Budget is about $1500