Linear tracking turntables, whatever happened?

Curious as to the demise and downfall of the seemingly short lived linear tracking TT.
Just from a geometry point of view I would have thought a linear arm should be superior to one with a fixed pivot that sweeps through an arc.
Obviously there is much more to it than that, sort of the reason for this thread.
I am genuinely interested in trying one out for myself as well.
128x128uberwaltz

analogluvr
@ct0517 my comment of disbelief about how much they sell for was more directed at the used market where you can pick them up for around 1000$

analogluvr et al

Taken from Stereophile data.
Description: Air-bearing straight line tonearm with detachable arm tubes. Wide range of user adjustments.
Price: $850 (1984); $950 (1989–1991); $2900 (ET2.5, 2011).

Now taken from the Brooks Berdan website

"Eminent Technology was established in 1983 to create innovative products in the audio field. Eminent Technology's first product was a air bearing straight line tracking tonearm for phonograph playback. This was the first implementation of a captured air bearing for tonearm use. Eminent Technology's second product, dubbed the ET-2, was a more advanced version of the captured air bearing tonearm concept and it went on to become the most successful selling high-end tonearm."

Sales Strategy 

To those that read between the lines - summarized above is the pricing and the marketing strategy that made it the most successful. IMO - This sales strategy was not about putting out 25 pieces and charging the highest audiophile pricing like is done with some of todays products. This was about bringing this technology to everyone. To help achieve this the sales strategy placed the tonearm as an option on the most popular tables of the day.

Now owners pass on, and inheritors put these arms up for sale. One reason they come up on ebay. If one comes up on Ebay ask the seller what PSI the arm was set up for. It can run on 3 psi and the early ones partnered on SOTA, Oracle, VPI tables were probably these versions; unless the previous owners had a higher pressure manifold put on.

Bruce Thigpen also customized each manifold PSI setting based on customer needs, for those tonearms sold that were sold individually.

We have discussed how to determine what PSI the ET2 manifold/air bearing has been set for on the ET2 Tonearm Owners thread.
(in the case of someone buying one used on the market)

Frigid temps here again today Uberwaltz - shaping up for a Digital afternoon warmup and then bring in the heavy vinyl artillery.

Great info as usual Chris.

You do not want to know it is supposed to be 78 here today?
Standing here in shorts and t-shirt listening to a ripped CD through my Aries Mini.
Usually save the vinyl until evening.
Harold in the barrel and Terry 9. I am also a happy owner of Vic's Terminator and Salvation with all of his modifications. In addition, I purchased a machined aluminum arm mount from Owen Young (Dark lantern) and will receive a graphite wand from Andrey tomorrow. I am not interested in the debate of linear versus pivot but I am very interested in the modifications you have made that improve performance Terminator/Salvation. I got the impression you two were going to take your further discussion regarding Terminator/Salvation off line. If you do not mind I would like to participate in that discussion.
Thanks
Steve Gunther
sgunther et al who use the Terminator: The most knowledgeable guy I know as regards the Terminator is Dave Garretson.  He devised a novel way to reduce drag of the wiring on the movement of the arm and he also manufactured a novel arm wand with adjustable effective mass and reduced resonance.  All this was done under the aegis of Vic. Perhaps you know all this.  Dave is a member here.