Linear tracking turntables, whatever happened?

Curious as to the demise and downfall of the seemingly short lived linear tracking TT.
Just from a geometry point of view I would have thought a linear arm should be superior to one with a fixed pivot that sweeps through an arc.
Obviously there is much more to it than that, sort of the reason for this thread.
I am genuinely interested in trying one out for myself as well.
128x128uberwaltz
Great info as usual Chris.

You do not want to know it is supposed to be 78 here today?
Standing here in shorts and t-shirt listening to a ripped CD through my Aries Mini.
Usually save the vinyl until evening.
Harold in the barrel and Terry 9. I am also a happy owner of Vic's Terminator and Salvation with all of his modifications. In addition, I purchased a machined aluminum arm mount from Owen Young (Dark lantern) and will receive a graphite wand from Andrey tomorrow. I am not interested in the debate of linear versus pivot but I am very interested in the modifications you have made that improve performance Terminator/Salvation. I got the impression you two were going to take your further discussion regarding Terminator/Salvation off line. If you do not mind I would like to participate in that discussion.
Thanks
Steve Gunther
sgunther et al who use the Terminator: The most knowledgeable guy I know as regards the Terminator is Dave Garretson.  He devised a novel way to reduce drag of the wiring on the movement of the arm and he also manufactured a novel arm wand with adjustable effective mass and reduced resonance.  All this was done under the aegis of Vic. Perhaps you know all this.  Dave is a member here.
Hello Gunther, well I´m not exactly in the barrel but as an retired gardener that is almost like ... Jack in the Green: https://youtu.be/yZTJH1qZm_Y

We will be delighted to invite you to join our little conversation ... in nearest pub : )