Liked the Nautilus 805 but found better?

I really, really like my 805s, but, alas, the bass. I'm looking for those that fell in love, and then found something better. Opinions on the 804's have been mixed. I cant see them being $1500 better than the 805. any and all suggestions appreciated.
gthirteen

Showing 3 responses by dekay

Gthirteen: Try a set of Vibrapods between your speakers and stands for $48.00. If they do not do the trick then send them back. I just tried some Mapleshade brass cones under my Renauds that are stand mounted and the combo sounded great. It added bass and smoothed out the sound even more so on strings and such. I am undecided on the added smoothness but the LF's did sound good to me. I cannot leave them that way though because it is too precarious a set up with pets and other people around the speakers and stands. I tried a set of Vibrapods after the cones and they increased the bass as well.
Ghirteen: You may be able to increase the bass by changing a few tubes in the preamp. I would discuss the possibility with Kevin at Upscale. And also Pods or whatever as mentioned before.
Gthirteen: Doug may be on to the problem. But, if you do not want to spend a lot of money right now experiment with "removing" or switching some of your isolation components. You may end up with a slightly more wooley bass which may be the ticket. I have been experimenting with different combinations of isolation components and everything is always different but not always what I am looking/hearing for. Many of the things that I have tried improved the mids and the highs to a great extent but have depleted much of the "wool" in the bass. I like some wool in my bass:-) It's all about balance, IMO. Most clubs and venues that I have listened and played music in over the years have had less than ideal bass characteristics, and this is what I attribute to "real" sound. And please try something different between your speakers and stands. Ask Sam, he knows what effect the Vibrapods have on bass in this application as I have seen him post as such. Not to nag I will not bring it up again. David