Lector Digicode/Digidrive vs Esoteric and Cary?

I realize this thread should probably fall under the "wretched excess/leave well enough alone" category, but here goes:

For the past six months or so I've owned the top-of-the-line Lector transport/DAC combo, and I find it gloriously musical.

But my audiophile-neurotic imp is whispering in my ear that the Esoteric X-01 that I briefly owned a year ago was more involving and exciting, but maybe, just maybe, less musical and "right." And the old fingers are beginning to itch.

I don't really have the sonic memory to compare the two sounds in any meaningful sense.

Anyone out there with recent experience with the Lector combo and the new Esoteric X-01 Limited? I gather that the new Cary is also a "contendah." (I'm not quite ready to spring for the EMM combo).

I appreciate anyone taking the time to read this and respond.
williamsims

Showing 3 responses by aolmrd1241

You want, involving,exciting,musical and right- think Wadia/GNSC... Gloriously musical? You betcha...
Bill, yes, the 861se with the statement mod is what I"am referring to. The 861se on its own is a very fine machine in its own right,but, imho, to get the very last drop of musicality out of it, GNSC- Steve Huntley and CO. have put some wonderful- magical "know how" into it and they have come up with the best redbook player that I have ever heard. I certainly have not heard everything out there, but with this machine, I indeed am done looking...8^)
Bill, sorry,don't live in Jersey but I sure do enjoy the coastal region there. Good luck in finding a cdp of your liking. Give gnsc a call,I'am sure Steve would be more then happy to talk shop.Good luck & Merry Christmas...