Lamm ML1.1 & ML 2.1

Hi,

I've the opportunity to heard 2 times the ML2.1 - 18 watts class A - first time on JM Lab Grande Utopia BE and the other one, on Kharma CRM 3.2

I love the sound of the ML2.1 : so natural, so human...

But I don't know the lower priced ML1.1 - the 90 watts -I'm living in France and it's not well distributed.

What differs between both in terms of sound ?

Do you know other amp with this kind of natural sound - at same price or lower !!!!

Thanks

David
davidri

Showing 15 responses by 711smilin

I now have a Mactone MA300, 22 watt PP 300B amp, and I gotta say, this is better than the Lamm ML2 in my system.
These are just amazing amps, the more I listen, the better I hear the music. I have the best soundstage I have heard in my system, layering, depth, width, natural voices, and instraments is holographic, and just plain mind boggling for me.
They just weren't my cup of tea however, having said this it is apparent to me (saddly so) that the future of sound reproduction lies in the digital domain such as this

Ain't that the TRUTH. It really will be all computer(chip)based within another decade(IMHO)but, us audiophools will keep analog around till the end....
Onebgyn, I bought the ML2 for exact reason you stated. I have also been told the ML2 is a bit better, and on top of it, a bit less $$$. I have heard the Dartzeel at the recent T H E show on the VR9's, and thought it was nice, the bass was not well defined, and the soundstage was not right. I understand it was SHOW conditions, but, hey SS is NOT SET. I have 12 tweeters, and 12 mid bass in my new speakers. I hope I will find my Nirvana, as well. Thanks for the feedback.

Dmailer, I talked to you before I bought my Reimers, and yes, they are real good speakers, I feel they are a bit tougher to drive than my present Epiphany's. My room is pretty large, almost 20 x 40, and if yours is much smaller, these amps should probably work for you. Good luck my friends.

Steve
Evita, I agree I need wattage, sometimes, therfore I will stay with the Lamm's for I hear magic happening, when I need to rock out, I will have the next best thing I can find, and, 120 watts is just not enough, for my present speakers. I will know more after I set up m,y custom horns, which will be about 103/104db. Thanks for the feedback, these are truely MUSICAL, and accurate amps.

Steve
Oneobgyn, since I have been following your threads, I decided I just gotta hear the ML2 in my system, so, I am buying one, and will have it end of next week, or first part of the following. My speakers are 95DB Epiphany 12/12. I sure hope I feel the same way as you. The Gentleman I am buying from, is getting the Dartzeel. I just love tubes, SET especially. I just hope I get the same results, as you. I will post after receiving. I already have the Telefunken's, both smooth, and ribbed, along with about 10 other pairs of high end 12AX7's. My question is this, have you rlooed any other tbes in the amp.

Thanks in advance

Steve
Have any of you guys rolled the 6N6P=E182CC with a bendix 6900, or other 6119/5687 variant?
Dmailer, my room is bigger, 700 square feet, I listen normal 85Db-95Db. But, at the same time, WOW, the low level microdynamics are amazing. I have been playing around with sources last night, and hearing much bigger differences with the Lamms, than any of the 40 plus I have owned in the past few years. I still own and LOVE my Dodd 120's, headbanging at it's finest, but these, in general are fabulous too.

Ya Gotta try the Amperex 12AX7's bugle boys, d getter from the 50's....very very nice
Ken, I really just love wonderful music, my happiest point in my journey, musically was with a simple system.

Cardinal X-1
APL 3910
Modified Klipsch Cornwall

My new speakers are far better, as is the latest apl, now, I am hoping for "musical magic" from the Lamm ML2's. My interconnects/power conditioner/pre-amp are world class.

I will also keep my 120 watters to rock out.

I will have my new custom horns (104 DB)next month

I so believe I will be smilin
Dmailer, CONGRATS, glad your smiling, hope you keep us up to date too.

BTW, I just bought the Amperex 1958 Longplates, which are suppose to be amoung the best. I will receive my amps next week. I am trying to wait patiently.
I am a tube rolling fool, next week when I receive mine, I will roll with 10 pair, or so. I will then give opinions.
1400, hmmmmmm, I tell you the truth, I have both 1950's smooth, and ribbed plate. I ahve always felt them sterile sounding, bright, thin, unmusical. I normally like the Amperex, which I have 1957 d getter, longplates. I also have tung sol's, raytheons, mazda(silver plates), and a whole bunch more. I will post my opinions later. As far as the 803s is concerned, I feel the rarity of these tubes do not coincide with the sound.JMHO.
All I gotta say is WOW, these are fun amps, accurate and scary in what they produce. Certainly not the last word in bass, or volume, but detailed up the wazoo. They sat at my office for 10 days while my Dad was in the hospital, but, over the weekend I hooked em up. They really do need a good 30-60 minutes to warm up, biasing is easy, and then, the magic happens, especially with the naturalness of the vocals, seperation of instramentation, detail of pinpoint imaging, and depth of soundstage. I am playing with different 12AX7's trying to voice this amp. I thought it would play louder w/o getting distorted, but, I can definately hear strain at higher SPL's. But, I never had, nor heard, an amp with such LUSCIOUS low level detail.

More to come