Krell KSA150 vs KSA100S & KSA100 for Inf Kappa 9

I've been struggling for a year now to power a pair of Infinity Kappa 9's or should I say pwering the woofers. I've bought 2 Parasound HCA-3500's and Adcoms Flagship model. Neither can run the Kappa 9 woofers at high volume levels for a length of time. Some of you said right in the beginning to buy a Krell. Well now I'm ready to make that purchase. I'm only going to use the amp to power the 4 woofers. What is the comparison between the KSA150 and the KSA100S and the older KSA100? I can spend up to $2,000. Also should I hold out and spend a little more on a KSA250 or KSA200S? Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
400bill

Showing 1 response by racerxnet

If driven properly the Kappa 9's are still better than many of todays speakers. They were innovative for their time with the emit and semit drivers. Yes, and unfortunately hard on amplifiers. None the less, still a bargain and very musical from Arnie.

I would not worry about a bad review from TAD as we are all aware that the Kappa 9s are amp eaters. The Krell should be very good at driving a 1 ohm load. I would put the Kappa's against any speakers in the 2K to 7K price range and bet they are able to stand on their own.

You can join the Infinity forum and get a substantial amount of information on the K 9's.

Proud owner of Kappa 9's, RSB 1's, and Genesis 200's

MAK