Krell FPB 200c versus FPB 300c

After long audiotions, I have almost decided to buy a Krell FPB series amp, speakers will be Wilson Benesch Act One. I have auditioned the 300c which I like but it is a bit of a strecht for my budget. Has anybody heard the 200c? Any experience on their relative performance? Responses appreciated FC
fchurtic

Showing 1 response by ericbee

I had the 300c and it sounded great. I just sold it because the power it sucked up was so great that it:
1. generated so much heat that I needed to open the windows in the summer or turn on the AC
2. turned off the heat in the winter and just ran the amp. ( I am not kidding)
3. had to change the circuit board in my circuit breaker box from 15 amps to 20 amps because it kept tripping
4. also tripped the 20 amp circuit, although not as frequent, when watching DVD's at "loud" levels
5. the power cord was 10 feet long and as thick as a garden hose..not removeable and looked ugly

However, it was the best sounding amp I have ever heard. I am waiting for Krell's new 200x5 amp due out in Feb. and am using a Sunfire Signature Amp on loaner from my dealer. Now this thing is a piece of shit. The difference in sound is unbelieveable. So much worse it sounds dead..no life, no bass, no midrange, nothing. I really hope the new Krell sounds better than this or I may go out and buy the 200c because it must draw less current and throw off less heat than the 300c and I never could use all of the power the 300c had anyway, it was overkill. By the way, this Sunfire amp is 400watts p/c, uses no current, runs cool and sounds terrible too.