Jolida JD100 better that the Rega Planet 2000?

Hello all,

I am just wondering if anyone has compared the Planet 2000 to the stock Jolida JD-100 (with or without upgraded tubes).

Thanks,
nickway

Showing 3 responses by boa2

We owned the Planet, and then the Planet 2000. When we bought a Jolida JD-100, we sold the Rega the next day. Definitely change the tubes in the Jolida, and upgrade the PC if money permits. In terms of engagement and performance, I believe the Jolida to offer considerably more than the Rega.

In my experience, the Mullard tubes in the Jolida have a liquid sound, almost milky. Great for jazz, vocals, etc. If you listen to a lot of rock, or like a more focused and detailed sound, I found the GE and RCA 5751's to lean more in that direction.
Best of luck, Nick.
Howard
Nick,
Here is some recent discussion on tubes for that player:
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1112895895&read&keyw&zztubes+jd-100

The 12AX7 is said to last around 10,000 hours in that player. When a tube goes bad, you will likely hear nothing more than diminished sound quality.

You can check out Joe's Tube Lore on Audio Asylum, under FAQ (I believe) to get an idea of the different sonic characteristics of the various 12AX7/5751/etc. type tubes.
If you listen mainly to jazz/vocals/instrumental, I might suggest that you try the Mullard CV4004 or 12AX7 variety. They are quite liquid sounding, milky even. You give up a little when it comes to rock, but not much. If you like a more focused, detailed sound, I would suggest trying out the GE/RCA/Sylvania 5751 tubes. Telefunken 12AX7's also have similar qualities--to MY ear, anyways. In the Jolida, I preferred the Mullards, as I found the music to be most engaging with them. Also, it's important to buy from a reputable source (check the archives). Otherwise, you can end up with bad tubes and/or paying far too much.

Finally, why not hang on to the Rega until you know that you definitely want to keep the Jolida? When we bought our JD-100, we sold our Planet 2000 the next day. However, you may not end up doing the same. Just a thought.
Enjoy,
Howard
Based upon your sonic requirements--and genre preferences--I would suggest trying either the Sylvania 5751 or Telefunken 12AX7. Others can chime in with suggestions, but I think either of these will answer to your stated needs. E-mail me privately, and I can send you some Telefunken's to try out.

Haven't heard the new EH's. I've never heard an EH tube that I liked, though I certainly could be surprised sometime by one that works for me. Every one that I've heard thus far sounds ashy and thin to my ear.
Enjoy the Jolida. It's an excellent player.
Howard