JBL L300 - true myth?

I'd like to ask if some can write his opinion on this speakers,I had a chance to listen and recommened .
I understand they working great with powerfull tube amp...especially with Mcintosh -is that true?
it's look the components are really good Alnico drivers special tweeters,horns...but woofers made of carton?is that a problem with today standards?
Is the old fashion crossover need upgrade ?

Thanks
scubidubi

Showing 2 responses by johnnyb53

I worked in audio in 1975-6 when these and the JBL L100s were at their peak popularity. The L300s were in the "high end" room in the back, sharing space with the Dahlquist DQ-10, Ohm F, ESS AMT1b, and AMT Tower (with transmission line), driven by the customer's choice among  Accuphase, USA-made Marantz Pro, and Crown. Sources were Tandberg R2R, various turntables with a Fidelity Research MC cartridge and Supex step-up. With those other speakers in the room, the L300s didn't stand a chance; by comparison their colorations were obvious. It didn't help that they were twice the money as well. $1600 in 1975 is almost $7200 today. We sold the DQ-10s at $600/pair ($2700 today). 

About a dozen years later my wife and I used to hang out with another couple, and he was an audio and classical music enthusiast. His rig was a stack of Denon separates and a pair of the L300s in a pretty large great room. They still sounded as I remembered them, with a very narrow sweet spot and therefore an inconsistent power response with suckouts and peaks depending where you stood. Overall they presented a very artificial sound. I was always aware that I was listening to electronics and loudspeakers, unlike experiences I had back then from Dahlquist, ESS, Ohm, and ADS. 

For those here who like/love the L300s, I respect your opinions; I just have a different one. We hear and perceive things differently. I only offer my personal experience to illustrate that you'll probably either like these speakers or you won't. So I agree with the prevous poster who advised not to buy them without an audition.
JBL L300 is Nelson Pass’s all time favorite speakers, he says. It must be really good. I would like to hear it.

And yet he designed an alternate crossover for it. The murky sounds and  poor in-room power response I heard out of stock L300s probably comes from a crossover that's not well-matched to the drivers, especially how high the crossover point is for a 15" woofer. Guaranteed beaming.