Jazz listening: Is it about the music? Or is it about the sound?

The thread title says it all. I can listen to jazz recordings for hours on end but can scarcely name a dozen tunes.  My jazz collection is small but still growing.  Most recordings sound great.  On the other hand, I have a substantial rock, pop and country collection and like most of us, have a near encyclopedic knowledge of it.  Yet sound quality is all over the map to the point that many titles have become nearly unlistenable on my best system.  Which leads me back to my question: Is it the sound or the music?  Maybe it’s both. You’ve just got to have one or the other!
jdmccall56
I remember jazz mainly by album. There are so many combos of this guy playing with that guy or that quartet or quintet. I like the classic bebop or hard bop more that the fusion/funk/modern whatever you want to call it. Although there are some that defy categorization.

I almost never listen to an album just because it sounds good or is renowned. If I don't like it (A Love Supreme for example or Birth of the Cool) I don't like it. Sorry. Not into big bands. But I am not a fan of just one instrument being played.

Of course there are songs whose titles stand out on my favorite jazz albums but not nearly like rock and pop stuff. 
I am the opposite, but learned about rock from my XM radio display.  Yes, I know, you have better sources.  So do I, but the jazz selection is awesome, and the info, especially for jazz, is educational.  The Polk costs about $50.00 on eBay, and service is $60 for the first year.
Interesting that people for whom it really IS about the music - namely professional musicians. Rarely have very sophisticated audio systems. Even when they can afford it
Jazz is a music you listen with your soul. I have been equally moved by listening on great systems, not so great systems and live performances.  After 50 plus years and hundreds of listens to A Love Supreme, Kind Of Blue and many other classic recordings from many great players. They are still a fresh spiritual experience every time I hear them.  Every single note John Coltrane played deserves complete attention he is sharing his soul and his gift from God with us. 
IMHO

That’s how I listen to Jazz

Peace
Stevr
I grew up listening to jazz. Learning names like Miles, Trane, Gordon, etc. it rubbed off. As an adult jazz is 90% of what I listen to. Playing trumpet in school, my first influence was Freddie Hubbard’s First Light LP. What a trumpet player. What an album, and some of CTI’s finest work in 1971. I’ve studied both jazz piano and jazz guitar. One doesn’t have to be a musician to know jazz, but studying does give one insights. I’ve been listening to jazz for 58 years. And I’ve not scratched the surface of available music.