Is This the Essence of "The Audiophile Dilemma?

"But I still haven’t found what I’m looking for
But I still haven’t found what I’m looking for
But I still haven’t found what I’m looking for
But I still haven’t found what I’m looking for..."

ps

Showing 2 responses by cd318

@petg60 

Live music is your guide, and patience your friend.

Such a simple idea, a truism that I'd seen many times, and yet one that I ignored for decades.

Only now years later, I can ask myself, why was that?

Well, in my case I think it wasn't always an accurate sound that I was after, but a memory of a particular one that I held in my head.

For a long time.

There will be some who'll say that no system can get anywhere near to a truly lifelike sound, but there's also no doubt that some of them get a closer than others.

As Edgar Choueiri pointed out in his Audioholics podcast, the spatial aspects and imagery, and then timing seem to be the keys into fooling the brain that it's not listening to a live performance.

The very 2 qualities usually found in live music!

As he explains, frequency response, sample rates, bit rates and other ephemera such as jitter etc hardly seem to matter in comparison.

@denverfred 

As my dear departed dad used to say: "How come, no matter what you're looking for, you always find it in the last place you look?" I have lived by those words ever since and have yet to find anything prematurely.

Your post reminded me of my recent experience with the iFi Zen Air Bluetooth DAC.

It might not be the very last word in fidelity but it did leave me wondering whether I actually needed a CD player.

The sheer convenience and comfort of being able to play anything off my phone without even bothering to get up is very addictive.

No more pulling out a CD to just play the odd track, no mess, no clutter.

Have I finally found what I was always looking for?  In a most unexpected place?