Is There Greener Grass For Me?

I have owned an Onkyo TXSV515PRO for about 15 years. I have upgraded most other components in a modest AV system, but not the Onkyo. We use the AV system for audio only as it relates to TV programming and DVD play – there is no CDP involved – all music being played in a separate, dedicated 2-channel room.

Currently, the system consists of:
TV - Mitsubishi WS-65413 – 65” projection
Front Speakers – PSB Stratus Goldi’s
Rear Speakers – PSB Alpha Mini
Center Channel (own but not currently used) – PSB 9C
DVD - Zenith DVB318

Now. I am not trying to assemble a SOTA system in any way, shape, or form. However, I do not care much for the separation provided by the Onkyo, especially front to rear balance (regardless of how the speakers are positioned). Too, if something like a great performance on Soundstage or an audio DVD is used, the sound is a bit thin when cranking the volume. I’ve had these speakers in two-channel systems and they are not exactly what I’d call thin. As such, I am wondering if I could improve things much by using a different power/processor – or maybe given the level of all else I should just leave things alone.. I’d STRONGLY prefer a one-piece unit, as opposed to separates, due in part to space limitations. Don’t need a tuner which is provided in the Onkyo receiver. Appreciate suggestions in the $2K new, $1K used range. Obliged to all for their consideration – whether or not you choose to respond.
4yanx

Showing 3 responses by jerrym303

4yankx,

I just went through this. For the longest time, I planned to integrate my 2-channel with HT, but could never get rid of the noise the HT introduced. I decided on a separate HT system.

I am going with the Yamaha RX-V2700. You can buy it local for about $1500 or by internet by an authorized source for under $1200.

I have an Arcam AVR100 in a small TV system and I agree that, for those who want music AND HT, it is hard to beat the sound of Arcams. For HT only, the Yamaha is very satisfying to me. The Yamaha is generally considered more advanced in processing and switching compared to the Arcams and has auto-eq.

Some basics on the receiver:

7x140 - you can use the back 2 chaneels to bi-amp your fronts
3 HDMI in
Upsamples to 1080i
Large power supply (50% bigger than the 1700 rated at 7x130)
You will enjoy the sound. Used Arcam AVR300 was the other choice I considered. Part of the reason I went with the Yamaha was to get set-up help from the dealer since the whole HT thing can be pretty overwhelming and not necessarily something that I want to crowd my head with.

You will probably want to bypass the AVR300 video section and switch using a universal remote, especially if/when you get a display with HDMI in.

Good luck.
Don't know the TV. One often overlooked thing about HDMI is that you can up-convert material that you cannot with other formats due to copy protection. My DVD palyer will not upconvert over component, for example.

Keeping video separate is just fine, even better, as long as the remote is wife-proof :)