Is the NAD 3020 the best value of all time?

This question is loaded I know, but that question is being asked from this perspective.

My brother is in for the Holidays and the first thing he asked was, "What is with this Stereo?"

So I asked him to grab his music and have a listen. His face lit up as he listened to his favorite live album. He said man can you hear the people talking in the crowd. And I can hear a baby crying. Oh did you hear that is a drum. I never heard that before.

Next question was how much would it cost me to do this?

I could have kissed him, but long story short I want to get him started super simple and cheap.

I have heard all kinds of praise for the NAD integrated 3020 amp as an all time value piece. The question is was the NAD a value in its day or is it an all time value still?
Is there anything out there today on the used market that can compete with this value amp for performance and price?

I hope to have the hooks in my little bro in a couple of weeks.
brownsanandy

Showing 3 responses by mcgarick

The NAD 3020 magic is that it is VERY musical,unlike most Audio, old or new.

Don't buy one that says "series twenty"

I liked the 3020 better than the Nait 2 and many other units...
Magic midrange it has...
I thought the NAD had much better weight and magic tone, where the Nait was more detailed but sterile and thinish,no suduction effect at all,think paper-airplane...

I don't know what the big deal is with the naits,I have good sources and many speaker to try with amps..I think the advent 300 is a better piece than the Nait also. With all the cheap tube gear around,thats the way to go these days anyway,think 6L6 amps.Now we are talkin musicality.
I would like to hear a Dynaco ST70,I have an Antique sound labs 1003dt and I bet its similar.
The piece of gear that really floored me was an old Accuphase E-202 integrated(besides the nad)that was a revealation to me..that got megoing on an Accuphase jag for awhile until I got the tube bug. I just picked up some Braun L1030 speakers at st vincent de paul for 8 bucks and some change lol,and they have got to be some of the best speakers I have ever heard.AND THEY LIKE TUBES, WOOHOOO!!!

It would be fun to have a contest in my area of the best thrift store system put together in one years time...
Theres nothing like cheap good stuff!
Kind of like when I used to smoke,other peoples cig were just better..hehe