Is Quality Prog. Scan DVD Under $500 possible?

Hi everyone.

I'm looking to pair a quality prog. scan dvd player via component to a Sony 42WE655. I say component because the TV only has 1 HDMI and I figure that I'll save that for the broadcasts. That's what we watch mostly anyway.

Looking at Secrets of Home Theater page I notice that all of the high quality players that are under $500 are all discontinued (ex. Denon 1600, Pan RP82, etc.) I don't need any SACD or DVD A or anything like that... Just a high quality player to play DVDs that will look great on this set.

Can you guys recommend anything? I haven't received many responses over at avsforum...

Thanks big time!
portugal11

Showing 1 response by cmp

Toshiba SD-9200, a few years old, was top of the line, solidly built, and well regarded for audio as well, but on the higher end of your budget; Denon 2800 Mk II or 2200. Also newer LG and samsung models are worth taking a look at. They also have DVI-D, so you can compare with your HD receiver to see which looks better through DVI. LG 3510A also has OTA HD tuner built in so you can get DVD and HDTV through single DVI out. Good luck.