Is OPPO worth the inflated price?

I've had my eye on the now discontinued OPPO UDP-205 for some time (more for playing my CD's than for video)  but am discouraged that units which last sold retail for $1299 are now asking $3500. Is this worth it and if so who are the buyers? Would appreciate the group's input. . 
hsc3md

Showing 1 response by mahler123

I have a 105 and a 203, but no way would I pay that kind of money for it, especially just as a disc spinner..  if CD replay is your only priority, $3500 will buy you some several times more refined than an Oppo.  If you need a Universal Player, look to Pioneer and Sony.
  As usual, my recommendation would be to get a good DAC and and use something for a transport. Again, if spinning CDs is all the OP wants to do, a dedicated transport from Cambridge and a Mytek Brooklyn, for example, will cost them $2500 and be several times better than an Oppo.
  The beauty of Oppo was that they made solid equipment that would spin any format, be a killer Video player that could have apps added to it,, be used as a DAC, and even stream, all in one chassis at a reasonable price. That doesn’t mean that for CD replay alone it should merit being priced in the stratosphere.