Is $18,000 enough for a high end HT?

This will be my first attempt at building a HT. My room size is: 19'L x 11'2"W x 8'H. This room is a library. I want high-end stuff. I want my windows to rattle when the Apollo 13 takes off. I want to be tempted to get up and dance when a good music score comes on. I want to build it myself as I think it would be a lot of fun. I have plenty of vacation time that I could use. The following is what I would expect:

1. A projector with Texas Instruments' Mustang/HD2 and 16:9 aspect ratio
2. Recessed screen
3. 5 on or in ceiling speakers (Thiel or Triad I’m thinking)
4. 1 Subwoofer
5. DVD player
6. Power Conditioner
7. Processor
8. A 5 channel Amplifier
9. Cables for the items on the list

When I priced every thing I wanted individually the price came to over 25K. Bare in mind $18,000 is a lot of money for me. However, I figured since we spend a ¼ of our lives watching TV it is well worth the investment. I invested some money a few years ago explicitly for my HT. Besides, I figured if my wife is not happy with all the money I will be spending, I could just say, that I am not taking the money from our cash flow, rather from a fund specifically set up for a HT. I am thinking maybe I should pull money out now. But is 18k enough? I am not willing to spend that kind of money if I will not have a great HT. Perhaps I should wait a couple of more years until I save up more money and the technologies go down in price. (I'm concerned that I will say that in two years again as I did two years ago. There are always newer technologies coming out.) I have no experience with any dealer and want to know if I could expect such a deal from a reputable authorized dealer. I read in Robert Harley’s book: “Home Theater For Everyone” that choosing the dealer is far more important then choosing the manufacturer of the components. In my experience for other purchases I find this to be very true. It seems there will always be tech support issues. Also, when I want to upgrade and add components, the dealer will know exactly what I have and all of my issues and I would be able to get his/her valuable input. I plan on adding within the next year or so, an AMX system for control, a video processor and an HDTV set top box.

The cables I would start off not so high end as I want to see for myself over time if they make a difference. However, the cables that would go in my ceiling I would want high end because it would be a big pain to replace those. I would also be flexible with the projector, I would settle for a refurbished or demo unit (with valid warranty). I would even settle for a good one that has an HD1 chip and an XGA resolution. I have seen some of those and they are definitely good enough.
captaincapitalism
Try this...don't laugh now.

$ 200.00 JVC H/T receiver.
$ 500.0 Wharfedale Diamond speakers all around.
$ 1,000 Epson 30 projector
$ 8.00 A screen-size part of a wall painted in ceiling bright white paint.
A 100.00 Panasonic DVD
$ 50.00 worth of cables, the tranparent copper-colour kind.

Total cost, $ 1,858.00 - less if you shop wisely.

Now - Watch any lemon-dumb, or boring movie on a 30K system. Then watch ''Gladiator'' or any movie you absolutely love on this el-cheapo system full blast (within reason of course)in a dark room. Which one is more enjoyable?

I have owned some of the finest AUDIO gear out there, including some 15K speakers and kilobuck tube amps. And I can hear subtle differences as much as the next guy, as I am also a musician.

My point is this. For me, audio still rules as where I invest most money, and home theater is where I put my SMALLER investments.

The el cheapo H/T described above is the one I actually own. And I swear to you that, when the whole family - or friends sit down and start watching any James Bond movie, there are NEVER any complaints. Just fun for all.

You can do a lot better than this cheapskate sytem of course, especially given the ''my-system-is-better-than-yours'' fickle nature of most audiophiles. I do feel Home Theater is the area where the laws of diminishing returns kick in quite early.

Thanks for reading, had to comment on this...
I ordered a 76" Stewart StudioTec 130. 76” is smaller than I would have liked it, but I had to for practical reasons, as my library is 19’ long. For the time being I am using a white sheet stapled to the ceiling that’s 106”, with the price of having to sit in the very back of the room.
Lets see.........I invested just $5000.00 into my HT for my den at home and I can honestly say that it has a better sound quality then ANY movie theater that I've been to.

I'd say that $18000.00 will do just fine hahahaha

BKSinAZ
There must be some real nasty movie theaters where you live.
$5000.00 surely must be all Sony crap right?
Why Sony crap? My HT was just under $7000 (including TV and DVD player) and it definitely sounds better than the theater. And I go to only state of the art movie theaters here in Tampa, Fl.

Aragon Soundstage Proc, Odyssey Stratos 2ch amp (with cap upgrade), B&K 3 ch amp, Paradigm Studio 60's, 20's, CC and PW2200 sub, Mitsubishi 46" HDTV and Panasonic XP30 DVD (best rated DVD player at Secrets of Home Theater and Hifi).

You don't have to spend a truckload to get better sound than the Theater. Of course, the acoustics in my home are much better than the theater as well.
I have that amount in my HT seats. I find it very difficult to even sit in a theater now.
I'm agree with Scottht on the theater seats. Comfort is high on the priority level. It's like the old internet slogan: Watch movies naked. (Changed from: Shop Naked).
My La-Z-Boys rock AND recline ;)

But they don't shake unless I let my dog scratch himself while leaning up against it.
18000. would be enough for the equipment but not for the theater room I spent 20,ooo for my equipment and 15ooo for my room but if your room is the way you like it then 1800 will be enough hdtv projectors with the mustang chip are available for 6 to 8000 and a screen for a 1000 your dvd player try to get it with dvi out will run around 2000 and reciever about 2000 speakers and sub I have 8 klipch plus a sub all for 7000 so it can be done good shopping.
you may not be an "AV Expert" but you are an expert in what you like. I have made a respectable living selling wine. I was waiting tables in a restaurant afew years back and had a table of six women who started their night with a $1500 bottle of bordauex. The table across from them had two ladies enjoying a $50 Phelps merlot. They asked me why the other ladies wine was so much better. I dropped my semmolier ego for a second and said basically " do you like what you are drinking" She replied " this wine is my favorite wine to enjoy with a nice meal". I responded "then their wine really isn't any better, now is it? It is just more expensive" For any expensive wine that is great, I find pride in finding an equally wonderful inexpensive conterpart. They may not drink at all alike. but they are both wonderfull. To many (myself included) $18,000 is a lot of money to be able to dedicate to your theater. I have listened to meridians @ $40k a pair and 12K B&W's that I liked less than my Triad bronze's for $2100 for the whole set up. Know yourself and $18K can get you there and beyond.oh yeah Sharp 9000u is an incredible DLP