Indian Sitar Stuff

While somewhat alone at the time, I rather enjoyed some of the sitar and sitar-influenced guitar work George brought to some of the Beatles songs. Just recently, I found an old Ravi Shankar LP "Three Ragas" on Pacific Jazz and really like many parts of that. Can people suggest pressings (LP's) of other similar instrumental-only Indian music featuring sitar. I am not huge on vocal pieces. Maybe if I understood. ;-)
4yanx
4yanx, if you interested in the Sarod by now, I would recommend Ustad
Amjad Ali Khan as well. I saw him live with his two sons a couple of years ago
in Albuquerque. He visits the Southwest and California every couple of years,
so watch out for concerts if you are close by. I am only aware CD's at the
moment, but will check for vinyl if you are interested.

Otherwise, I can just emphasize the recommendations for Water Lily
Acoustics. Their recordings on vinyl are excellent. V.M. Bhatt is right now
touring the US/Canada and I saw him just 2 months ago. Also, Subramanian
(violin) has great recordings on WLA, which I found new at Acoustic Sounds
and Music Direct. Worth checking out.

Nice to hear that Indian EMI vinyl is so highly regarded. My wife's parents
(who are from India) just dropped off 10 Indian classical LP's with me that
they had lying around for the last 20 years. Now, I'll have to check for LP's if I
get to visit India again...

Also, not quite Indian classical, but at least available as excellent recordings
on vinyl (from Enya records): Rabih Abou Khalil "Sultan's Picnic" (Oud). My
favorite for merging middle eastern music and western jazz.

Good luck on your search for Indian Classical on vinyl.
Hey Restock. EMI vinyl from India generally is quite good. I am curious where your in-laws are from in India??? If you are going to India and are near Bombay (and a few other spots), the music scene is quite active, especially in the winter. You can see most of the major performers for very little $$. Many at insanely good outdoor gigs, and sometimes at insanely picturesque locations. If you ever get to N. California, the Indian classical music scene is thriving. With Ali Akbar Khan's College of Music (http://www.aacm.org/) not only bringing in major talent, but their students give gigs frequently. With Ali Akbar Khan on occasion performing.
Great info, I'd never considered buying Indian classical on CD, mostly just getting what used records I find, which means primarily Ravi Shankar. I don't know much about this music, but the point about uninterrupted running time makes good sense, I really dig hearing a raga taking its time developing. Next time I go CD shopping (which doesn't happen too often compared to my used record scrounging) I'll have to be on the lookout for some of these suggestions. BTW 4yanx, interestingly I also have a Shankar LP entitled "Three Ragas", but this one is on Capitol (DT 2720) with Chatur Lal on tabla and Pradyot Sen on tamboura. I guess American labels may have thought that one piece taking up one whole side was about the limit they could easily sell at the time...
You gotta love Audiogon.

"I'm in total agreement with your enthusiasm for Shiv Kumar Sharma's Santoor playing"

This is one of the best sentences I've ever seen in print. Who knew there were (at least) two avid fans of Shiv Kumar Sharma's santoor playing out there?

BTW, I've always liked this music and own some of the Cooder/Bhatt/Shankar stuff as well as a couple of D. Byrne's compilations. Enjoyable enough, but I will use this info to seek out some of the more esoteric material you guys have recommended.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Marty