Indian Sitar Stuff

While somewhat alone at the time, I rather enjoyed some of the sitar and sitar-influenced guitar work George brought to some of the Beatles songs. Just recently, I found an old Ravi Shankar LP "Three Ragas" on Pacific Jazz and really like many parts of that. Can people suggest pressings (LP's) of other similar instrumental-only Indian music featuring sitar. I am not huge on vocal pieces. Maybe if I understood. ;-)
4yanx

Showing 1 response by tubes108

Hey Restock. EMI vinyl from India generally is quite good. I am curious where your in-laws are from in India??? If you are going to India and are near Bombay (and a few other spots), the music scene is quite active, especially in the winter. You can see most of the major performers for very little $$. Many at insanely good outdoor gigs, and sometimes at insanely picturesque locations. If you ever get to N. California, the Indian classical music scene is thriving. With Ali Akbar Khan's College of Music (http://www.aacm.org/) not only bringing in major talent, but their students give gigs frequently. With Ali Akbar Khan on occasion performing.