Ideas for Biamp with mc611 and mc275?

Instead of buying one of the new combo Mcintosh solid-state tube amplifiers (mc451 or 901), how practical would it be to get 2 mc275s (each set to mono) to biamp speakers along with the mc611 solid state mono?

jumia

Showing 3 responses by raysmtb1

I’ve done this for years and it sounds excellent. are use the Macintosh C50 pre.  Speakers are Tekton Moab with the bi-amp crossover. Everything sounded balanced and perfect, except that I had cleaner base, more base, actually and warmer mids and Highs.  I have to believe that the mackintosh MC 451 amp is maybe a little bit better because it was designed exclusively for the task at hand.  I believe it’s called horizontal bi-amping.

I looked up your speakers, and you are good to go. Just take two separate outputs from your preamp and put them into the two separate amplifiers. The magic happens inside the speaker. For instants on the back of your preamp, you may have a RCA set of outputs and a XLR set of outputs. Run the XL wires to the MC 275 and the RCA’s to the MC 601. You’ll be good to go because the preamplifier will feed the voltage to each amplifier at the same rate. If you don’t have two different outputs, then just use a Y splitter and runs one of each to the amplifiers. That’s it you don’t need anything else. Hope this helps. I’ve been doing it for years and it sounds great.

My speakers were designed as a bi-amp speaker. There were four connections on the back of the speaker cabinet instead of 2. If that’s what your speakers have been, you’re fine the speaker company has designed it to be crossed over inside the speaker. When the signal gets sent from the amplifiers, they both send a full signal. The crossover is what filters out what the speaker wants. If you don’t have a speaker that is designed with that kind of crossover then you’re gonna need to rip out the existing crossover and use an electronic crossover.