I have joined in the ZYX Family

Funny how change comes about. I’ve been intending to get a tube preamp for years 10-12 years. Instead, I got a tube amp which sounds great. . Tube amp with SS preamp sounds GREAT. FWIW, the SS Preamp was a Stereophile Class A Conrad Johnson PFR. So, its not like I was shooting in the dark. The PFR is a really good preamp. And the Bob Latino ST-70 seems to be a great fit along with the Silverline Sonatas. So I set out to get my turntable up to its optimum. I have a Teres 340 which has an Origin Live Illustrious 3 with Benz Ebony L cartridge. I put the OL Illustrious on it as a temporary arm. I figured the Teres deserved much better. But Maybe I am wrong. It sounds great. However, being an audiophile, I can’t leave it alone. So I set out to get a new tonearm worthy of the Teres 340. But then someone reminds me that a cartridge will make more difference than a tonearm upgrade, especially since the tonearm is a pretty good one. . So I consider the idea and come across a ZYX 4D for a good price. Thank you Raulirigueus(sp) for the idea. In the process, I saved some $$$ too. I’ve wanted a ZYX for quite some time. NOW, I see what all the fuss is about. This cartridge is fabulous. Next up is to clean the electric. Oneac seems to be a good way to go. But, who knows. My plans often go sideways. But I’ve really made some big steps forward thanks to some good advice and the good Lord above who over rules my ignorance. FWIW I often pity those who miss the beauty of good music. I love it. Thanks for your help along the way.
128x128artemus_5
Congrats as well from my side!

The ZYX 4D is an outstanding cartridge. 

If you use the 9,5" tonearm you should maybe make a test with
some additional weight at the headshell. The ZYX cartridgedes
work best with a total weight (eff. maas tonearm + cartridge +
mounting screws, headshells and weights) of about 25g.

If you use the 12" version you should be close to perfect.

I had the 4D in my system till a DS Audio bettered it. But before
it was hard to find something comparable. In my system it was
more involving than the top Lyras.
This cartridge is addicting. 

Racedoc, I'm probably only 1/2 gr from the 25 now. Thanks for the info.
I’m the renegate of ZYX, my last one was copper coil Premium 4D with SB2 paired with ZYX headamp.

Do you guys are aware that after 2000 hrs you will have to invest 60% more to replace your ZYX (with worn out needle) to the new one officially? Since the original 4D is no longer available you will have to invest even more to upgrade to the newest models which are always more expensive. It’s like paying at least $2500 each time when you reached 2000 hrs of playback with ZYX’s Micro Ridge stylus tip. I think it’s extremely expensive service, are you sure you get more complacency when you pay more? Addicted?

Mehran is a very nice guy, i was always looking for Miyajima cartridges he’s offering along with ZYX. But the official Miyajima service is much more reasonable in Japan, not so expensive.

Chakster. I hear you. Two things I'll point out. There are more ways to replace Zyx than through Mehran I bought mine used (200 hrs) at a ridiculous low price. The owner, another audiophile, bought a Universe at a great price and only had this mounted for 4 months. Then, there in Mr Juki. I'm aware that Zyx has changed from the early days where their cartridges were reasonably priced. I'm also aware that 2k hrs is a lot of hrs.

IE, I kept a close  count on my Benz cart (bought new) by tracking the number of album sides. I figure 20 minutes per side avg. I bought the cartridge in 08 or 09 (I believe) I just counted up the hrs on that cartridge. It was 325-350 hrs. 350 is adding 25 for overage.  I did take a 3 yr hiatus. But I was surprised that the number was so low. But it was. Even if I added 20% (25 minutes per side) to that number, I am only at 425. Thats a long way from 2000. So I'm not concerned