How to tame a bright system?

Hi all,

I have been facing a problem, the brightness of my system:

Bluesound n130  --- Chord dave ---- audioquest fire (xlr) ---- Etude  ---- copper wire ---- B&W 606s2.

The brightness shows up, particularly after I upgrade the cable from the chord company clearway (RCA) to the AQ fire (XLR).  AQ fire really improved everything. However, the high frequency is too cristal to my ears (especially the "ding, ding" sound from the piano, I believe most of the people would love it but not me .... ).  I like the cheap clearway, but it does not have the excellent bass and the dynamic offered by fire. I also tried with AQ Mackenzie (copper) which gives a proper sound but lacks space. I also found the vocal of fire is a bit forward (I am not really big fun of forwarding vocal).

Can someone help to recommend a cable that has everything of clearway but more dynamic and extension at the low end? I think this would be an ideal cable for my current system.

If possible, please help to focus on the cable rather than the other components. I know there is a lot to improve, but not at the moment.  Thanks a lot guys!  ;-) 

tension255

$600 streamer with a 12k dac...I would really serious rethink this WHOLE SYSTEM. You have much bigger issues than finding a cable to bandaid things up.

brightness is a signature to many B&W speakers. Across all the forums with similar threads the common denominator is that they are using bowers and wilkens.

I dont own a pair myself but a B&W system came with my bmw m5 and some songs are unlistenable and pierce my ears. Fortunately there is eq but when i lower treble too much it just sounds lifeless

It doesnt help that you use the chord dave which can have a clinical (analytical) sound to many and doesn't complement that speaker brand

Cables?  It sounds like you need to change toe-in / toe-out of your speakers and the distance between your speakers and distance between the speakers and listening position.  That seems to track closer with your description and is more likely the root of your problems.  Spend the rest of your budget on room treatment (like a forest of artificial Ficus trees).

I have the same problem in my system so I changed the preamp to the old ADVENT 300 until I can afford a Schitt Freya plus tube to smooth the top end. 

I use Mosfet amps like Adcom and B and K, etc.. so not there. 

It is hard to sell speakers you like and have so long. I know. I need to do it with at least one pair!

Good luck, do it sooner than later, is worth it to enjoy the sound.