How good is the Technics 1200 Mk2 with all the KAb upgrades?

Guys while cleaning out my back room I found a new tech 1200 mk.2 that I bought years ago when kids were young- I forgot I even had it!!- It has pretty much all the KAB upgrades- How good a table is this compared to todays table- In other words how much would I need to spend to equal this table
If I keep it what upgrades would you recommend- thanks
fluffers

Showing 4 responses by sbank

I've heard them sound great. There are other upgrades that also take it to a higher level including bearing upgrade, platter upgrade(Mike New from Australia does what are some of the best, external power supply and Isanoe feet. 
Tonearm upgrades are also good improvements over even the rewired original if you are inclined to do so. With Transfi Terminator arm, a friend has better performance than his previously owned ELP laser table and his VPI Aries. 
Check out theartofsound British forum, the section called Techiepedia for many 1200 tweakers' experiences. 
http://theartofsound.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?46-The-Techiepedia
Cheers,
Spencer
"Compared to my well-established aural memory..." Don't ever put much stock in whatever follows a phrase like this. 

The KAB fluid damper, rewired toneram, Isonoe feet, adding a center weight all will be audible improvements on the 1200. It's good to know that the table performs well enough to let each tweak be clearly heard. At every level from untweaked to maxxed out, it's competitive with most pricier tables.

It's popularity with DJs due to its durability will take the shine off for some audiosnobs, but remember that it wasn't designed to be a DJ table; it's for audio enthusiasts and became popular because its reliable speed stability was hard to beat and trickledown tech was unmatched due to the huge investment in analog that Technics had already made.
Cheers,
Spencer 
@fluffers Yeah, as @retrofunk said, that is pretty well loaded, go for it!

@andrei_nz Would love more info on the bearing you mention. My pal's Mike New platter and bearing are both excellent with no trouble for him; he bought them within last few years. Thought I read the Mr. New has stopped producing them or will only when a number pester him to make another small batch. BTW, nice post! Cheers,
Spencer
@chakster Great deal there! Doubt too many of those pop up at that price. I paid $3k for my SP10mk2, but that was fully recapped / restored and included terrific EPA250 tone and a cheap Technics cart. 
A sizeable budget gap vs. the KAB even with many mods. I guess the 1200g now fills that gap well for those in that budget range. Cheers,
Spencer