How do you remove static from an album.

I found about 200 old records at my inlaws house. How can i get the static out?
128x128thegoldenear

Showing 3 responses by rodman99999

Like anything else made of rice paper nowdays: It has to come out of the orient. Try here: (http://www.elusivedisc.com/products.asp?dept=377) The, "Japanese 12 inch inner record sleeves". Also: I'd bet the MFSL sleeves would be great as well(though I've not tried them). I've never been diappointed by their products or recordings.
That would actually be silicone Ms E is referring to. The snap, crackle and pop associated with(even new) vinyl can be generated by either dirt (held in place by mold release agents containing silicone, static or melted into the vinyl by the stylus) or static itself. As mentioned: a Zerostat is a great tool for removing a static charge. The best treatment I've ever found for reducing all noise involves an initial(upon the first opening of the album jacket) cleaning with a VPI HW-16 record cleaning machine(gets all the clud out of the grooves before it can get welded into the vinyl), treatment with LAST(liquid Archival Sound Treatment), storage in ricepaper sleeves and then: a quick brush with a Discwasher system before each play. I've got records that I treated that way over 28 years ago, still playing as quietly as they did back then. The Discwasher liquid relieves any static charge just prior to play. Might sound like a pain, but- It's always been well worth the effort. Static type noises are something I never hear at a live venue. Don't want to hear at home!
Hi Kevin- A static charge can be relieved, regardless of how long it's presence. Chances are better that what you are hearing is dirt that has been welded into the vinyl by stylus pressure. Then too: Unless albums are(or were) made of virgin vinyl, they've already got permanent dirt in the groove wall. I'm still using a(now antique, purchased in 1980) Signet SK-305 Electronic Stylus Cleaner, and Stylast. Personally, I've never trusted anything that was applied to the album and left on there, but LAST.