High value, giant killer speakers?

What speakers have you heard at any price did you find are fairly priced or a great deal and competed with offerings much more expensive (2x, 3x, 4x etc)? 
smodtactical

Showing 3 responses by mwoh419

I stand corrected.  I would add the Acoustic Research AR-303's of the early '90s to the Vienna... when paired to a Sunfire amp of same vintage.
While I recognize most of the brands mentioned, (and realize I'm way out of my league),  I got off the merry go round 13 years ago when I stumbled upon some lower end Mirage omnipolar speakers on closeout for $200 each.

They sound almost as good as Maggies... and better than any point source speaker I have heard to date.  Except for maybe Vienna.

The best thing with the Mirage Omni... is that there is no "off axis". The room becomes like a giant pair of 3D headphones.

I was going to upgrade to the OMD's, (and bi-amp)... but they are NLA.

:(
"Everyone's favorite is a "giant killer". Has to be in order to assuage the restless ego. Heaven forbid you actually spent money on an average performer!"

No ego here... and I think I spent my money on an average performer.

"A purported giant killer that can't do under 35Hz +/-3dB? Really? I think not."

Maybe a speaker itself won't do that... but with proper placement it's not to hard to make the room go that low.  I only use my sub for movies... so something is working for me.  :)