High Efficiency Options?

I’m thinking about assembly a pretty modest second system based on tubes. I think for a basic el34 amp most speakers 85db or higher would satisfy but I’d like to play with low powered tube amps. System will be in a small bedroom and I won’t use it to listen loud often, so I’m thinking anything in high 80db range will work. To give you an idea of my taste I use Harbeth c7s with Primaluna seperates fed from my Audio Mirror Tubadour and Auralic Aries. I don’t have a large budget for speakers, probably 1,000-1,500, and I’ll buy used. I have decent grasp of what’s available for the most part, but not really when it comes to high efficiency speakers. I know of Zu and Tekton but don’t find what I’ve read about them too appealing. Outside of those two I’m not really sure what’s out there in my price range. Any ideas or recommendations would be much appreciated. 

brylandgoodman

Going with a high efficiency amp opens up many many choices these days.  Just saying. 

I use Ref 3A de Capos 92db with a 4 watt Decware mini torii not overly loud but good enough in a 12x22 room open on the side

I also use a Klipsch Quartet with a 6 watt Grommes PHI-26, they are big but sound very live

Not sure why you would be put off by Zu Audio.  Some of the most enjoyable and satisfying speakers I own and I use them with my Prima Luna PL5.  Just ordered a second pair to go with my Rogue Sphinx.

In any event, take a look at the offerings from Omega Loudspeakers.  I believe the Super 7 are a real steal.

Rich 

Super 7 Monitor MK2

That sounds like great fun. A few years ago I decided I really wanted to experience a 300B amp. I had upgraded my headphone system in other respects… so I upgraded my headphone amp to a Woo 300B headphone amp… I fell in love with the sound. 

The problem was my main system didn’t sound as wonderfully musical as my headphone system. Well $70K later my main system sounds that good. Really happy I took the real tube route. My systems sound so much better than I ever thought possible. My systems are shown under my user I’d.

@ozzy62 is right.  You need a speaker in the 90db range for sensitivity.  Klipsch heritage series are one option to consider.  No direct experience with Omega that @rar1 mentioned, but full rage speakers are often a great option for tube gear.  These often do very well in terms of imaging and midrange reproduction.  The Omegas are crazy efficient at just short of 95db/watt/meter.