Help with Meridian 518

Please share how you use the 518 to optimize your stereo system.

I recently added 518 to my system in place of my preamp. The 518 lets me connect my dac to my amp directly. This resulted in a much smoother and transparent sound. However, there are other functions on the 518 that are not used optimally.

I fudged around with the Emph/Deemph, different noise shaping algorithms, and the input/outbut bits, but they all sound the same to me on my system. I know for a fact they do alter the sound, for an old client had one, and he transported steisand into his living room with a mere touch of a button.

My setup:
Cal Audio Delta-Meridian 518-Cal Audio Sigma-Aragon 8002-Kef 103/4
Argent speaker cable, Emerald between amp and dac, and mapleshade between trans/518/dac

Thanks ahead of time.
viggen

Showing 4 responses by viggen

Thanks for your inputs!!

However, I am still not getting any difference in sound quality when fumbling between the different bits and shapes.

Does it matter whether I am using the 518 as a preamp, thus I am using the gain stage with emph? Or do I have to bypass the dsp?

So far, I am using Emph, with sound shape E, and 16bit in, 18 bit out.
Hey Richard,
Believe it or not, I don't hear anything different when switching between preemph and no preemph. And, yes, my dac, the sigma, is deemphed...

Hey Sarah,
You bet I read my manual inside and out after my beloved 518 is not harnessing its full potential. And I got the type setting to 0, which is for preamp. I do believe the dsp functions, dither, wordlength and emph, are used in every mode. Only certain functions are customed differently between the various types like type 0 negates bypass to keep your speakers from going full steam ahead.

Hey Glaucon,
Did you have the same problem I've had before you installed the resistors on you amp? And what are these resistors? They sound "heavenly", where can I get my hands on them? They do not hinder with the sound quality at all? So far, I've only have my 518 up to 60, goodness how much resolution am I losing......

I made a "virtual system" and i found there is two models of 518 available amongst the choices. One with dsp and one is without. Could the problem be that I purchased a model without dsp eventhough the buttons and displays for them are still there?

Ed
Hey Richard,

Thanks for being very informative!!

I checked the version of software on the 518, and I've got the older version, 1.14. I doubt the older version would penalize the audio performance?

I've already have designated the 518 as a Type 0.

It seems I am at a disadvantage for using the 518 as a preamp. Lowering the volume on the 518 cuts into the resolution of my digital source. However, using the 518 as a preamp with curtailed resolution and forgoing the DSP still sounds better than having my Nakamichi Ca-7a in the audio loop.

Ed
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I've done just aobut everything I can with the current equipment I have on hand to try to hear the subtle differences between the dithers and wordlengths. Even thought the differences were obvious in another system I have listened to in the past, I just have to accept the fact that I won't hear the differences on mine.

I believe my DAC might be the culprit since Meridian recommends one using a DAC with at least 18 bits, and my sigma has only 1bit (with 18bit resolution).

I have hooked my preamp back up, and used the 518 in type 1 mode with no attenuation, this means no loss of bits, yet I still cannot hear any sonic difference/improvements by playing around with the dsps.

However, the 518 allows me to hook the dac straight into the amp and dejitters the jitters. This, by itself, has made me a happy happy camper.

I will try to listen for the dithers after I upgrade my digital fronts, which won't be in the near future unless I see a Sonic Frontiers SFD1 DAC for about.. 400?