Help with a gift Vinyl Collection and Onkyo CP-1280F Turntable

A friend of mine in his 80's, gave me an Onkyo CP-1280F TT with a Grado G1 cartridge and 350+ pieces of well cared for vinyl. I purchased a Pro-ject mm phono cartridge to make it operational. It's fully automatic and direct drive, but the fully automatic part doesn't work. The sound IMO is thin and lacks body.  Where should I start? Needle? Cartridge? or another phono preamp? Or given the fact it needs work to restore; should I just purchase a new manual TT with a new cartridge and sell the Onkyo on Craigslist. I don't want to spend over $500.00. The last system I had was a Kenwood KA-5500, Technics DD turntable with a Stanton EEE Cartridge sometime in the early 80's. It's been long enough since I've had any vinyl; I'd say I was a Virgin! Advice would be appreciated!
128x128coachpoconnor
Post removed 
Post removed 
Buy a new Project TT and a new Grado Black cartridge ($75). Your non-working Onkyo TT is worth little. The Grado G1 is probably too worn to be of any more use!
roberjerman thanks for you response!
I've found a used Project TT with the Carbon Fiber Tone Arm that retails for 399.00 for $220.00. The only rub (that I've read) with this turntable is the anti skate. If I remember correctly from 40 years ago, one of my old TT's had anti skate with a weight and fishing line.Otherwise the reviews are positive. Would that TT be decent turntable to start out with? I can put the Onkyo on Craigslists for $50.00 and see what happens!
As to the Music... I'll get rid of the show tunes and keep the Jazz!
That sounds good! And you can then go up a level or two with a better Grado! The thread-n-weight anti-skate is primitive - but will work (I have one on my Grace tonearm). Lucky you getting some fine jazz LPs!