Help to upgrade my surround processor

Here's the short version. I have a TV with composite and S-video inputs only. I also have an old (at least 15 years) Onkyo ED-301 Dolby Digital SP. I only watch a movie a week. My sources are DVD and Laser. I can't change my TV as yet, so the S-Video is OK. But I imagine the chip in my unit (motorola 24 bit dsp 56009) is basically a dinosaur. How can I get some better sound and upgrade? I imagine I just can't upgrade my chip. Sound is my primary consideration. My problem is that I hate to buy an Anthem AVM 20 which is a 8-9 year old unit and the newer Anthems are too pricey. Does the v2 2.21 upgrade sound good enough compared to today's chips? Otherwise Rotel, Sherwood, Outlaw or maybe a Cary 6? Thanks in advance for any help.
drjjpdc

Showing 2 responses by nguyen357

You should considered Proceed AVP-S for now. Great with 2-channel music too, will beat out all other companies you mentioned.You can always upgrade to AVP2 later on if you like the sounds, and I'm pretty sure you will.
If your primary goal is movie, then AVP-S is as good or better than most Processors out there within that price. When you're music first movies second, then AVP2 makes perfect sense.Proceed is no longer doing upgrades from AVP to AVP2, you can buy used AVP2 out there for reasonable price.Hope this will help you achieved your goal.