Help me find a pre-amp

Hello everyone.  I’ve done loads of searches & reading of threads on here.  I need to find a pre amp & make a final decision on amp to upgrade my sound.  Source will be purely digital (Qobuz) streamed from Aurender A200 (my two channels are also used for TV). Synergistic research cables.  For power amp I’m down to Rogue DragoN or a McIntosh 612.  Speakers are Chapman T-7.  I want the shityy recordings of 70s & 80s rock to come to life & fill the room(Rush, Van Halen etc)

The budget I have in mind for a pre is <$5k.
From all I’ve read here The Modwright L100 seems to be highly recommended, but I have not heard it.  
Thanks for your opinions!

128x128rkfaberdds

If you have $3,800 to spend, get a used Conrad Johnson ET5 preamp and buy a Telefunken 6922 tube from Brent Jessee.  If you can stretch to $7,000, buy a used Conrad Johnson GAT1 and don't look back.

Post removed 

Although it doesn’t look like a Backert design, Bob has been working on my PS Audio PV-12L to the point that very little if any circuits from PS remain. I am fortunate to live within driving distance of Bob Backert and he has incrementally improved my line stage to the point that it is clean with incredible dynamic drive, due mostly to his proprietary “Green Force” power supply. A true gentleman who really listens! as he develops new circuits.  

Try a BAT VK-33SE tube pre or a VTL TL5.5 tube pre. They're a step above the rest in that price range. The BAT has a mono switch that sounds better with some material like King Crimson Red album for example. maybe Rogue Audio RP7