Hegel viking CD player

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the Hegel viking recently introduced CD player?

Is it worth 5k?

Thanks

mmsalem

I had posted on this, basically asking the same question, when it was released a few months back, with no responders then.

”Worth” is always going to be a subjective issue.  One question is whether or not you play ripped CDs from  a Hard Drive and/or stream from a service such as Qobuz.  If the answer is no, and CDs are your main source of replay, then $5K for a CDP looks more reasonable.  

I have the predecessor the Mohician. Compared to roughly a 5K vinyl setup (VPI Prime/Audiotechnica ART9 cartridge), very little difference between CD and vinyl playback, I know blasphamy but they're really close, each with some different strengths.

. I have thousands of CD's so it made sense to me, sometimes I need the convienence of CD  playback

I had the Mohegan which had tremendous sound quality, however it had numerous quality issues and has been replaced by a CEC belt transport. A great move.

samgar2

Can you talk about the issue(s) with your Mohican?

I added one to my system last week. SQ is excellent and compliments my AYRE integrated nicely. IMO, the Mohican has the advantage of a 1st geneation AKM chip. I can hardly await to read more on Viking.  Similar to the Mohican, how many players will Hegel build?

Happy Listening!