Harry James, The King James Version

Due to someone who recently mentioned this LP, and what a great recording it is, I decided it was time to give it a listen. I hooked up my SET 300B, tube preamp and phono stage, Garrard 401, Dynavector arm, and Zu Denon 103R, and was just floored at what I heard. Since I've been terribly lazy lately, I haven't listened to vinyl much at all recently, so it came as a shock to hear again how good a great slab of vinyl can sound.

I don't recall my digital front end ever getting my attention like this did. Shame on me for being so lazy. I've learned my lesson, and I will treat myself to much more analog in the future.

Regards,
Dan
Ag insider logo xs@2xislandmandan
Those Edison discs sound remarkably good, considering what they had to work with. What I heard back in '70 was a far cry from what Edison had to offer (consider how many great recordings Rudy Van Gelder made in the 50's and 60's).

Those listeners back in the early 1900's were not at all sophisticated, so I can well imagine they were mightily impressed with Edison's discs. As we all know, recordings using quality tape machines, along with great mics, mixer, etcetera, can sound spectacularly live (as can great D2D LP's).

Regards,
Dan  

Dan !!!! right on man
I used to get in trouble a bit when delivering new systems in early 80’s I would include one ( or more ) of six Sheffield discs all as mentioned by others here and of course the Wagner and Prokofiev and of course Dave Grusin ( Cowboy songs my fave )

all the work of recording and musical genius.

I think you are on Widbey Island, you are welcome to a listen to my Aesthetix Pandora sig DAC in your system sometime. I have friends to visit on the Island.

Best

Jim
Hello Jim, thank you for your post. Whereabouts do you live in The Great Northwest? I would welcome you to my modest home and system, and hearing a quality DAC like the Pandora would no doubt be quite informative for me.

Thanks and regards,
Dan