Gryphon Diablo 300 vs Vitus RI-101

So I've been itching to upgrade my amp. I currently have: PS audio Directstream -> PS BHK preamp -> parasound JC1 -> Focal Sopra 2.
    I narrow down to these 2 candidates. Any one with experience with both int amps can comment on them?Thanks!!!
128x128btbluesky

Showing 3 responses by hamburger

Before I tried the Vitus and Gryphon, my friend and I tried the Boulder 866 with DAC also at home with same partnering equipment. Well, Boulder is what Boulder is known for; quick, clean, clear, dynamic, drive... However I felt that harmonics were truncated. It didn't feel like listening to music. I felt like it was re-constructing the data in the source (the in built DAC) and then presenting it as "music".

It was the first amplifier that we eliminated from our shopping list.

I agree with eziggy above in general.

Vitus RI-101 vs Gryphon Diablo 300; I just did a shoot out of both, in a domestic environment.  Only the amp was the variable, all other factors remained constant in the system.

If you like the Gryphon darkish, warmish, powerful house sound, go for it. It does not respond much to source or cable changes. The Gryphon character prevails, no matter what is connected to it. Its sonic character becomes the center of the system.

Vitus is more chameleon-like, and changes to a source or a cable is reflected in the sound. It responds to the partners that it is connected with. It is more "neutral" because it plays in and with the team. It does not call attention to itself even though it is a strong player, and plays its role very well.

Well, the above is just a comparison relative to each other.  Both amps need long warm-ups, especially the Vitus which only sounded good after one hour. (Both amps were not brand new amps, but well run in.)

Vitus RI-101 is my choice over the Gryphon Diablo 300. I am now a new fanboy of the Vitus sound. Jadis I-50 or I-88 will be my second choice after the Vitus. Gryphon comes in at number 3 for me.

PS-Audio BHK? Forget about it. Completely not in this league of amps at all.

FWIW! ;-)

Hi georgesallit325

Yes, it was the RI-101 Mk2 in the comparison. Great amp!!!
The shootout came about because a close buddy wanted to buy an integrated amp for his Magico S-series speakers. He has since bought the Vitus. I am happy for him!