Greatest Rock Drummers

Given the subject line many names come to mind such as  Ginger Baker, Keith Moon, Phil Collins and Carl Palmer but, is Neil Peart the greatest rock drummer of all time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSToKcbWz1k
128x128falconquest
shadorne..I watched that doc on Ginger a couple of years ago..Baker was a ruthless competitor. When I saw him in 1974 at the Paramount in Seattle, Buddy Miles opened the show. When Ginger ended his drum solo at the end of his show, he yells in the mike and says.."Thats how you play the drums Buddy"..Baker loved to intimidate drummers and put them on the defensive. He is a Leo, known for their very dominate controlling style and their very combative nature.

One drummer comes to mind that also got a dialogue going with his tom's, Ron Bushy with Iron Butterfly. His In-A-Gadda-Davida solo 
burned me out since it was so overplayed on the radio more than "Stairway to Heaven".
How do you know if the drum set platform is level?

If the drummer drools evenly out of each side of his mouth!

Check out this drool worthy video of a drummin legend

https://youtu.be/DzAt3Ozkd2A

At at the end of the video, you can see Tom Petty had vintage Tannoy Red 15 monitors stacked up high among all his guitar amps and cabs!
Since we talk about styles and overplaying, I want to add that IMHO Jim Karstein is a most exceptional “play for the song” drummer. Hat tip to James Cruce also.

Just listen to JJ Cale or Clapton. 

Tom Petty did incorporate excellent drummers during his career.

Happy Listening!

Excellent nomination of Jim Karstein, shadorne. I'm impressed! Others of his ilk (supremely musical, therefore unknown to most) include Jim Christie (Lucinda Williams, Dwight Yoakam), David Kemper (T Bone Burnett), Don Heffington (Emmylou Harris, Lone Justice, Victoria Williams, Buddy Miller), Kenny Buttrey (Dylan, Neil Young, Nashville studios), and Harry Stinson (Marty Stuart, Nashville studios). All the above are favorites of songwriters, a very good sign.