granite base for speakers

Gentlemen- I'm using a trio of Vibrapods w/my Silverline Sonatinas on low-pile carpet. While everything sounds great, I'm the insatiable type- I'm an audiophile! -so once again, I'm experimenting with stone speaker platforms. I've got some 4" (thick) granite slabs that I put under my speakers, using the Vibrapods to decouple. What is your take on stone speaker bases? Is this this too drastic of a change in height? I beliefly listened and heard this; imaging was much improved, palpability was very much improved, strike that it was more like believeability was much better. Bass response was diminished and midrange appeared to be a bit harder than before. Problem is that I'm right in the middle of burning-in (2) Shunyata Viper v2 power cords, so everything is in flux. I realize I'll have to wait till the cords have settled-in abd a/b the granite but just wanted some opinion on my query. Thanks guys. Mike [email protected]
mwalsdor

Showing 1 response by kkirkpac099

Mike, Do WHATEVER is necessary to get the sound you want. I had some Hales Revelation II's (with concrete baffle -wish I had them back) that didn't come to life until I put them on bases composed of (from ground up): 12" X 12" X 1" patio slab, two full height cinder blocks, another patio slab, two half height cinder blocks, topped of by, U guessed it, another patio slab. This was in my living room. EVERYTHING snapped into place when I removed the front cone (left rear two in place). So much for short speakers...