Good Suggestions for Tube Amps under 6k

I wanted to see if there were any group suggestions for an integrated tube amp or tube / solid-state combo under 10k or, even better, under 6k. Still looking for my final purchase in this part of my system.  Thanks everyone.

gregjacob

@pindac The R8 with Tube Upgrades (If desired) and Pass KB1 Pre-Amp’ (If of Interest) should not drift to far over...

What about the design of the Wilsenton R8 amplifier would require someone to consider adding a Korg B1 preamp layer on top of it, and why?

-----

R8: Noticed folks in Australia on the stereonet forum adding Rothwell RCA inline passive attenuators for source inputs -and- AK members discussing adding thermistors used to reduce inrush current on the R8. Why? Due to design issues -or- fixed in later versions of the R8? Definitely worth researching more before jumping in, imo.

I am not a EE, I have covered many threads on build projects and in numerous seen threads, there will always be a broadened discussion over circuit design and the used topology.

The OP @gregjacob stated " I wanted to see if there were any group suggestions for an integrated tube amp or tube / solid-state combo under 10k or, even better, under 6k. Still looking for my final purchase in this part of my system. 

Thanks everyone. "

My notifying the OP was in keeping with their request and was informing that it was not necessary to use the whole of their allocated budget, my suggestion has shown this.

The individual who supplied the R8 for demonstration, owns a Audio Company and has a customer base that has a selection of Customers who are quite content with spending 20-30 x the cost of the R8 on amplification. The idea of the R8 making such a good impression on this individual when adorned with Upgrade Tubes, supports the notion that a attractive Tube experience can be had for too much monies. 

For those that have an experience of the KB1, it will soon be learned that it has a transparency that few Pre-Amp's are capable of, when added to a Tube Power Amp', for this reason the KB1 design has proven to be a welcome addition.

I have been demo'd a few guises of the KB1, as well as having a Bespoke Built KB1 demo'd in my system and have had a long-term loaned basic build design KB1 hooked up to my Bespoke Built PP 845's. This marriage has superseded owned Valve Pre's and a AVC. The impression made has resulted in my having a Bespoke Built Balanced design KB1 produced at present as my Pre-Amp of choice. 

One of the above KB1 owners had a Loan of a Bespoke Built KB1 at the time they were having demo's of Pre Amp's to be used with EAR Power Amp's, approx' £20000 of Pre-Amp's were home demo'd of which one was a EAR 868 and retailing at £5000. The Pre-Amp options were not limited to a Budget, the KB1 won the system owners favour, and a Bespoke Built KB1 is used in the system. 

Note: The KB1 does not do full bodied/lush as a presentation.

Greg - You've certainly attracted a lot of good advice. Ha...maybe too much advice. For my two-cents worth, I owned the top of the line Prima Luna and did lots of tube rolling and such. Loved it for two years. But last year I heard and purchased a Line Magnetic 845ia and the "wow factor," as you put it earlier, took a huge leap up/forward - improved presence, body, speed, sound stage, more natural instrument tone, the whole schmear...and all non-fatiguing. My speakers are Forte IVs. As an aside, two weeks ago I added a Border Patrol DAC and my entire system improved yet again. Crazy, and I thought I had reached the promised land.

neptune123

Thanks so much!  Yes, it's pretty overwhelming, and boy, I didn't expect so much advice! You have touched on the essence of this thread:  exploring significant, worthwhile improvements in our already-good listening.  I have been making a "short list" of tube amps as the thread has lengthened (and digressed a few times). I will put Line Magnetic on there as well.  At this point, it isn't if I will change but when, what, and for how much money! Much appreciated. 👍

BTW, have you heard the Line Magnetic 845 Premium model?

No one in this thread mentioned McGary either...