Good Sound under $500

Hello All,
I'll get to the point, I'm downsizing and looking for a good sounding, inexpensive speaker to hold me over until I can get a pair of Proac 1sc or the newer D1. I presently have an Arcam AVR300, Oppo BDP83, Totem Hawks, Totem Signature 1 Center, HSU VTF2 sub. The Totem Hawks and Signature are going to waste because I live in a duplex and we share a common wall in our living rooms which happens to be 13x18x8. I've always felt the Hawks had a little more bass than I needed, I'm not a bass hound. But I do like a good solid detailed bass, The Hawks's bass is a little overwhelming and not very detailed. I went to a local audio store and listened to the Usher Tiny Dancer BE-718, an amazing sounding speaker but out of my budget now or in the future but it's sound was more of what I am looking for. Definitely different than the Hawks.

I'm looking for a decent stand mounted Speaker with clarity, imaging, and decent bass down to about 60 or 70 hz. The sub can handle the rest if needed. Is the size I quoted above for my living room considered small or medium?

Some I've been thinking about are:
Epos els3
ERA D4/D5
PSB Image B6
Silverline Minuets (too small?)

To name a few. I've been reading the forums for the last month or so, this is where I decided on the Proac's but I have to wait till some come up for sale. Plus I will need a center channel speaker for these present and future speakers.

I listen to 50/50 movies/music, my musical tastes are Dave Matthews, Eric Clapton, acoustic guitar, blues, female vocals like Sarah Mclaclan, Bonnie Rait, etc.

I'm open to suggestions folks and thanks for your help.
denon53

Showing 1 response by jndean

I have two pair of Triangle Comete ESs in two different small rooms and they are coherent from top to bottom and are bigger than the Titus and do not seem thin in the bass to me. Great small speakers and well priced if you can find them.