Genesis V vs. 300

Anyone have experience with both of these speakers? I own the V but have not heard the 300. I would appreciate any input.

Thanks.

Jim
jwilt

Showing 3 responses by jwilt

I really like my Vs - just have this sick need to try new things... I saw a pair of the 300s around for a decent price and wondered if it would be worth messing with. I don't have a huge listening room, so the 300s would probably overwhelm it. The Vs are even a bit of a stretch there.

Thanks for the advice.

J
Idog,

I passed on the 300s - I guess I came here to be talked out of them, and it worked (my wife thanks you all...).

I am currently using a Pass Labs X250 amp and X1 preamp. I think they sound pretty good - had a Threshold T200 previously, which I thought sounded very good, too - a tad warmer.

I have heard that Genesis work best with tube equipment (I think Arnie voiced them on tube stuff) but I have always been a fan of good SS. I am a musician and like to hear a LOT of sound. I have read reviews on the X250 saying that the blue meter hardly moves even at high listening levels - I can get mine to swing wildly back and forth :-).

I have not heard the new 501s, so I can't comment. I'm sure there good. I have heard people comment they prefered the V to the 500 and 501, but this is secondhand.

Jim
The midbass coupler is available here:

http://www.genesisspeakers.com/

I have also gotten midrange domes through Genesis themselves within the last year. Parts are scarce, but they do exist.

J