Garrard 301 - Project

I have been contemplating for a while which turntable to pursue given so many choices. Every time I look around, I just can’t help drooling over a fully restored Garrard 301 or 401. Aside from being an idler-drive, I keep reading and hearing about their unique ability to reproduce music with its sense of drive and impact thus making them very desirable to own. And with available meticulous restoration services and gorgeous plinth options, what’s not to like, right!

Would you please share your experience, good and pitfalls (if any) with a restored Garrard 301 to avoid before I go down this path.

And what about the IEC inlet and power cord, would they be of any significance. My two choices would be Furutech FI-09 NCF or FI-06 (G) inlets.

I have already purchased a Reed 3P Cocobolo 10.5” with Finewire C37+Cryo tonearm/interconnect phono cable with KLEI RCA plugs option.

Still exploring Cart Options, so please feel free to share your choice of cart with Garrard 301 or 401.

And lastly, I would like to extend my gratitude to @fsonicsmith, @noromance ​​​​@mdalton for the inspiration.

128x128lalitk

@lalitk 

I have the Herbie’s mat on my 401.  Honestly, didn’t do A/B with stock mat, but I love overall balance of my setup.  The Audiophile Man just did a review of the new Origin Live Stratas mat - - compares it to at least 6 other mats. Worth checking out.

@mdalton 

Thank you for the endorsement on Herbie’s mat. I received a bare platter so I need to start somewhere; given reasonable cost of the Herbie’s mat, I said why not. I have bought Herbie’s products in the past and they offer good value and performance.  I will read up on the review! 

@mdalton 

Thanks for sharing. I was considering Herbie’s Way Excellent II 4mm thick, 280mm (diameter). The 301 strobe platter is 11-3/4” which roughly translates to 279.4mm. Does your matt over hangs the platter? This is bit confusing as Herbie’s recommends the following, 

• 292mm (11.5") diameter. For tables using an 11.5" mat like Technics SP10, SL-1300, and bevelled-platter Garrard turntables.Great for Luxman PD–series turntables.

Just measured everything.  Inside the lip, my platter measures betw 288 and 289mm (so 292, lip included, seems right).  The mat I purchased from Herbie's measures about 288, and fits inside the lip perfectly.  Having said that, my email records show that I asked what size to order and they said 285.  I can't find an invoice, but I don't believe I did anything different from what they suggested, so that tells me that their 285 may actually be a little bigger.  Sorry for confusion.  

@mdalton -  @lalitk has a 301, not a 401 - it is a different platter and the 301 strobe platter does not have a lip.

@dover

yeah, I get that, but 11 3/4” is still 298.4mm.  I was responding to the OP’s prior post to make sure he didn’t miscalculate the diameter of his platter.

@mdalton 

Thanks for catching my mis-calculation. I went ahead and placed an order - 4mm /  thick, 295mm full-size. 

Update: Herbie’s Matt is here. I am impressed by high quality finish and quick delivery. And 295mm turned out to be perfect size (pics posted on my virtual system).