Frustrated with Vinly

Hey All,

Just coming here to let out out my frustration with Vinyl. I know that Vinyl takes patience but it's frustrating when playing some of my newer records and they have noises that I do not want to hear. Meaning, I try to clean them and they still have noise (pops, crackles, etc). When playing at low volumes of course you do not hear as much but when I turn up the volume is when it gets irritating. 

I can understand if older vinyl would sound like this but these are my newer records that I bought (amazon or barnes and nobles).

Now, I know the products that I am using are probably not great in the first place and I will probably need to upgrade to some more serious cleaner).

Currently trying to use a combo of: Kaiu Vinyl record cleaning set and I have also tried the Audio Technica AT6012 Record Care Kit.

So now I am considering either a Spin Clean type system or Pro-Ject  VC-S2 ALU Type cleaning system.

Any suggestions?

I almost want to give up on Vinyl sometimes and stick to digital (cd, hi res files, qobuz streaming).

Current equipment: denon dp-300f w/2m blue cart.

Thanks

Jay
128x128jay73
@chakster Don’t assume that because you’re satisfied with less than the best or too lazy to try to improve playback qualities that others are the same as you. Nobody is telling someone new to the hobby that they have to clean their records or take other steps to improve playback but they may choose to do so and it will have positive effects.

I generally don’t clean brand new records before I play them and I buy used records at a store that uses a record cleaner before they put them out for sale. If I buy them somewhere else then I do get out my record cleaner and make sure there is not a bunch of crap on them before I put them on my turntable.

You made a lot of incorrect assumptions.
There is no such thing as a clean paper sleeve, I ran  the most advanced clean room for composite manufacturing on the planet.... but go ahead... argue...
There is only 2-3 reasons to play vinyl:
  1. If you already have a big collection 
  2. Sometimes LP mastering has lower loudness than any of the digital versions
  3. Some albums you can not find on other formats
Otherwise a LP is a continuous analogue wave. That is a lossy format in data terms just like MP3 is a lossy format (keep in mind to not compare with the lowest nitrate). 
Yes you read right!
Today and for several decades we have recorded digitally. So the master original is digital so all information is there..
To make a LP then it mastering to LP format then some information is deliberately thrown away to fit the LP format. Just exactly what MP3 does. There is one of the LP lossy things.
Another is during the whole production and steps the LP yet loose fideiity. Again loss. Plus we gain clicks and pops even if you take the record from the machine to your TT. It will have clicks and pops. Those were not there in the digital master.. so you see it is not all ditt. So you can not clean all away..
It is a lossy format so if that bothers you go back to digital. The problem with digital is that the record label will not give anybody the master you will get a digital copy that they have treated with more or less loudness and other stuff.
So choose your poison well.. :)

Needless to say, a record is a dirt magnet. The record can’t help it -- attracting dirt is part of its DNA. Dibasic lead stearate or cadmium or other esters of stearic acid make up as much as 2 percent of the vinyl compound. These additives provide thermal buffering for the vinyl during pressing, aid the platter’s release from the mold and prevent oxidation on the newly minted record. Function served, mold-release agents turn into foreign substances between stylus and groove, where they remain and attract dirt. Chemical analyses of 50-year-old used records reveals mold-release agent still in the groove.

Playing dirty records not only generates audible clicks and pops, it wreaks physical havoc. When a stylus exerting N tons of pressure per square inch smacks head on into a family of 5-micron-sized rocks sailing along at 60 knots, the impact can deform the groove wall or, thanks to heat generated by the forces in play, fuse those rocks to the vinyl itself.

I always clean new records before playing them.