Fastest way to correct hifi system?

Just wonder what you think is the fastest and most hasslefree route to buy a hifi system which one are satiesfied with longterm? Call the nearest hifidealer and tell your soundsignature preferences, roomsize and the amount you will use, or read magazinereviews and internetforums etc. for months or years trying to find the perfect system money can buy? Or just go to the nearest town and listen to as many system combinations in your pricebracket as possible and try to figure out what is the best for you? 
sakelig
Like anything else, the more research you can do, the better chance of finding what you will enjoy.  Consider some key questions that help to quickly narrow the search.  

1-What is your budget? The sellers here at Audiogon offer a lot of high quality equipment at very good prices.
2-Do you listen to smaller ensembles, full orchestra, rock, jazz.....or all kinds of music? If you listen to music with wide dynamics, you may opt for a more powerful amp that provides the speed and extra "headroom" needed.  Also the size of the room can have a great impact on the decision.  I have 25W/ch tube based system with efficient speakers that does very well in a 12' x 17' room.
3- Do you prefer digital/CD or vinyl? My preference is vinyl, but a digital based system might be less expensive and enable you to get off to a more satisfying start that allows you to put more money into an amplifier and speakers. Look for speakers that have an efficiency of 89db/w or better.
4 - Try to be flexible and consider an upgrade path.  While there is no perfect system, you can strategically replace equipment down the road.
5 - Do you intend to listen actively, or is this more for background music?  (maybe a $200.00 Bose bluetooth speaker is all you need)

Good luck and have fun along the way.

There's no one size fits all within price points as all systems will sound different even in the same price points. You wouldn't buy a car that way, would you?   It would be like a rising rap star buying Dom Perignon because rich people drink it (personally, I can't stand the stuff).

You'll have to huff it as best you can and get out and listen for yourself and by all means, take your time. Practically all of us here now know what we'd want as a final system through trial and error with the pain of knowing that we didn't need to spend all the money we did. Good luck.

All the best,
Nonoise
Two great takes on the advice above. I would just echo this sage advice. 
Know what you are willing to spend-- Take your time-- Check dealers in your area to listen; even if it takes a round day or round weekend trip.

Best Wishes
1 - Trust no one's ears but your own.

2 - Be honest about how you listen to music most of the time. Throne? Puttering around the house? Concert level?

3 - Try to give systems a long term listening experience, as many things sound cool and interesting in the first 5 minutes, and then wear off fast.

Best,

E