External DAC for Sony SCD-777ES

My SCD-777ES has the Kern mods. Vishay resistors. Black gate capacitors.
Sounds good and easy to live with. Still far from the performance level of my turntable.
I would like to try an external DAC for red book.
There are many in the $ 500 to $ 1,500 used price range.
Please share with me your experiences.
Happy Holidays
dcaudio

Showing 3 responses by psacanli

Musicslug gave you excellent advice but you haven't seemed to acknowledge it.
If you consider spending $1500 try a used or 'demo' MIT Oracle AC2 power cord on your Sony. The refreshed sound will probably 'blow you away'. You have a great cd player; this level of conditioning & isolation will release 'most' of its potential. And the cord will be with you a very long time.
Please advise if you do try it. PS. you can't just use a cheap isolation transformer for the isolation; they are far too noisy. Have you tried any conditioning on the Sony?
Dgarretson I respect you have significant experience with modded units however it does not sound like you've actually tried the MIT Oracle AC2.
Czbbcl I don't think it's completely appropriate to compare a $500 pc to a $3495 Oracle AC2. 7 times the price? I appreciate many power cords and conditioning units are not that beneficial; but perhaps you would be pleasantly surprised with the MIT.
PS.The increase in bass control & dynamics is revelatory with the Oracle. FWIW. Happy holidays-I have Mr Vivaldi entertaining me with some lovely violin works.
The AC2 can be picked up for~$1575; that's within his stated range. I'm not suggesting he buy it---just 'try it'.
That Vivaldi is a charmer isn't he.