External DAC for Sony SCD-777ES

My SCD-777ES has the Kern mods. Vishay resistors. Black gate capacitors.
Sounds good and easy to live with. Still far from the performance level of my turntable.
I would like to try an external DAC for red book.
There are many in the $ 500 to $ 1,500 used price range.
Please share with me your experiences.
Happy Holidays
dcaudio

Showing 7 responses by czbbcl

You have done all you can do IMO maybe some power supply mods. Vinyl is obviously your thing so I would put my money there.

Chuck
Your thread doesn't mention if your player has the super clock installed. If it doesn't then this is where you need to put your money. The super clock upgrade is a huge improvement over the stock clocking circuit.
Dcaudio

The super clock and superclock power supply are separate mods and depending on your skills can be done by you. I had a local modder RAM (reference audio mods) East install both the clock and power supply in my scd-1(did it free). The superclock will improve both redbook and sacd performance. This is the single most important mod you can do and will exceed the performance gain that the resistor and the cap upgrade made by a large margin. If you only did one mod to yout player the superclock would be it. I can understand now why you said your TT outperformed your 777es. Forget the DAC and get the clock installed. I can not believe Kern would do the resistor and cap upgrade and not the clock knowing full well the improvement the clock makes.

Audiomod know offers the reference clock which is claimed to be a large improvement over the superclock 4. It is very expensive at 795 versus 295 but as I understand is a big improvement over the sc4.

Chuck
Dcaudio

This person has an auction running for a new 45mhz SC4 for the sony player; no affiliation. Also has a used power supply for sale although this is not required for the clock.

Yup it is always a crap shoot but the clock is the only thing that gives you what you seek for the money. Because as it stands your Sony is not even close to how good it can be.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?dgtlplay&1198980877

Chuck
I use a PS Audio Statement Extreme power cord on my scd-1 and feel it provides a blacker back ground; not a revelation but certainly worth doing. Not anywhere near the inprovement that the clock and other mods have made. I have used passive power conditioning in the past (not active, couldn't justify the price) and felt it put a veil over my speakers. I disconnected the unit and go straight into the wall. These are my experiences others may experience something different.

Chuck
I think dcaudio is looking for practical approaches and experiences not 3500 pc.

I listened to Vivaldi last night as well; Giuliano Carmignola Late Violin Concertos (SACD), very enjoyable and excellent recording.

You have a great New Year as well.

Chuck

Chuck
Sorry but that still seems like alot for a power cord but hey if it works then thats what matters.

Yup agree I love his music I have quite a bit of it.

Chuck