Equipment Rack - How important in the grand scheme of things?

I have a fairly nice system ($25K or so invested) but I am currently using a cheap rack bought off ebay (1/2" glass shelves with plastic cylinders between the shelves). My amp is sitting on a granite slab (left over from kitchen remodel) on carpet. My system is all solid state with no turntable. My rack is sitting on a tile floor over concrete slab. 

I realize that "everything matters" at least a little, but the question is - how important is the quality of the equipment rack compared to other upgrades I could consider? Have those of you that have switched from a cheapo rack to a nice one noticed much improvement (particularly with SS systems and no turntable)?

On a related note, one of my local dealers sells Solid Tech racks. Anyone with experience with these racks?

Thanks,
Jay

128x128jaytor
mijostyn said:
"Otherwise in your situation (no turntable) it is purely a matter of aesthetics. Everything else is audiophile dander."

Absolutely incorrect. Digital devices are very sensitive to vibration, internal and external and respond well to isolation/draining devices.
Tomic601, I’ll be looking forward to the results of your tests. I’m planning to put the cones and discs under my amp like you, as well as the CD/SACD player. VPI recommends not to place isolation feet under their Classic 2 turntable. I suppose their turntables’ stock feet are designed to provide vibration isolation. Will you be placing three or four isolation feet under your amp for thiose type isolation devices? I read somewhere three cones are more stable an arrangement if you are using cones for isolation.

And do you, or anyone, think isolation feet like Vibrapods should be placed under the components existing feet or apart from them? I suppose you could unscrew and remove the existing feet if that’s the way to go. Thanks for any advice. Hope I’m not burglarizing your thread Jay. If you’d like I will start my own on this related topic.

Mike
I've mentioned this before.  About 15 yrs ago I bought a used Billy Bags Rack solely because I liked the way it looked.  I was totally surprised by the instantaneously audible improvement, it was NOT subtle!   
Hi Jay, I got bored reading everyone else going off topic, so I thought I would answer your direct question with a direct answer. I have had my Solid Tech Rack of Silence for a number of years and I absolutely love it. Their approach is strictly about eliminating vibration both from equipment and the environment. I consider this rack as another component within the system. I refuse to participate in the isolation/vibration debate as I have some very definite opinions of both.  My belief is however, that you should gauge the rack according to the rest of the system. The rack should be economically commensurate with the rest of your system. I also believe in the point of diminishing returns. Solid Tech has several offerings, colors, finishes, and configurations to meet the most discriminating of tastes. They make a great product and you really can't go wrong. Prior to purchasing the ROS I to had an inexpensive rack with what I believed to be good equipment. Once I made the switch I realized how much I had been missing and how important the role of a good rack played in the character of my system. Now don't get me wrong, a rack, no matter how good will NOT make a bad system sound good. A good rack will create synergy between the components and allow them to do the job they were designed to do. Good luck in your search...Stay safe, Stay well, Stay at home and listen to tunes.
skyscraper has some good questions
Millercarbon, would you know if the BDR Cones and Round Things are substantially better than the Vibrapod equivalents? They are substatially more expensive and I’m wondering if there’s enough difference to warrant that extra expense. 

Haven't compared directly. Couldn't say anyway. For me I could say but nobody but you can decide what's worth it. 
Just to look at them its obvious what they have done. Its just like what I said earlier about granite and sand having faults but being good together. Vibra pods combine ordinary o-rings (rubber) with plastic, with steel. Then notice the shape isn't a straight cone its got an angle change in there and the base has a flange. So its obvious what they have done is combine these materials and shapes and tune them to get the sound balance they consider best. 

DJ did the same with BDR Cones. The main difference being the material is inherently superior. Its like the difference between a semi tractor trailer and a F1 car. Both have suspensions with springs and shocks. One is a whole lot more advanced in terms of geometry and materials. Vibration control in BDR is down to the molecular level. The material itself is inherently stiff and highly damped. It doesn't need a rubber o-ring to damp the ringing of the steel ball bearing in other words, which is what the Vibrapod does.

Most of these things the best use is directly on the component. Not under the component feet. There's nothing worse in all of audio than the feet manufacturers put under their gear. Even ones with impressive looking footers, they are so bad probably even a Vibrapod would be an improvement. 

The best practice is to use three. Three points define a plane and so never any rocking with three. Components are different enough there's no one simple rule to follow on where they go. On a CDP it might be one under the disk, one under the transformer, and the third wherever it stabilizes best. The only way to know for sure where is best is to try different combinations. Usually a difference can be heard. Which in itself is amazing. But so is this whole subject. 

If you look at my Melody, its hard to tell from the pics but the factory feet and bottom cover was removed and three BDR Those Things are screwed in right through the bottom with Round Things screwed onto the bottom. So one inside, one outside. Yes the bottom cover is basically clamped between carbon fiber on both sides. Cones screw into the Round Things. https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 Vibration control is a huge component of system performance. I take it very seriously.