Dynaudio Special 40 or OLD Dynaudio Focus 160?

I'm eyeing on either of these models, I've listened to Focus 110 sometimes ago, the high came out from the tweeters is very very charming, mid sound just right to the point and sweet, bass most probably could have be the concern where I feel drum music a bit stiff to hear. Any opinions? I intend to drive it with a Class D Audio SDS-470C power amp, signal from a DAC pre Fostex HP-A3.
128x128wim1983

Showing 2 responses by hififile

Two very good choices. I listened to both extensively.

My preference was for the Dynaudio. The bass response was superior. On large scale symphony and 60's classic rock the bass was missing on the Harbeth P3. Plus the amp worked a lot harder to get the sound to the same volume in my room.

Listen to both with the same music and you make the call. If your dealer(s) will allow in home demo, even better.
I found the overall presentation was better on the dyn 40's, and of course that is my gear, my room and my music.

I liked the Harbeth, but I am now very glad I did not get them. On the times I want to listen to classic rock a big chunk of it was missing in action on the harbeths.